PH meter Choices ? Digital or Analog?

Old 04-04-24, 09:52 PM
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
PH meter Choices ? Digital or Analog?

So I noticed Amazon has quite a few choices of fairly inexpensive soil ph testers to choose from. [I recently purchased a digital wood moisture meter, actually 2 that I am quite happy with (China).] I am wondering do you really need to get all the extra options on these meters like moisture,etc.? I've been doing fairly well for 30 plus years without extra features. It's the ph soil I'm really trying to monitor. I do like the fact that some of the analog dial ones are sans batteries, which is a nice convenience. But not a big deal. The digital is nice with the background lite. This would be primarily for the Garden. I am not sure if some are for houseplants or meant to stay in the soil.

Have any of you bought any recently, have experience or have any advice or preference? Can anybody explain the twin probes? Are extra features worth it? I know you usually get what you pay for but some of the ten to twenty dollar models don't seem all that bad.

Thanks for any help

Old 04-05-24, 05:48 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,218 Upvotes on 1,980 Posts
The title of the thread mentions pH meters but you talk about moisture meters in the body?

It all depends on how good a grower you are. If you have trouble telling when a plant needs watering then the moisture feature may be useful to you. I don't find them to be very accurate but they can give you a general idea. The problem is the moisture reading can vary depending on the soil chemistry (conductivity).

Old 04-05-24, 06:40 AM
C
Received 174 Upvotes on 142 Posts
The Kelway HB-2 soil tester is pretty much the industry standard for soil ph and moisture testing. It's pricey but Kelway offers some less expensive models that I would trust over many of the no-name imports. If it's not critical for you that you have really accurate results, you could buy a cheapo and also some soil ph test strips and use them to check each other for rough accuracy.

biketrax voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: