Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Gami - you know anything about Kentucky Blue?

Gami - you know anything about Kentucky Blue?

Old 07-16-01, 07:28 PM
At work we usually use a 50% blend of KBG and 50% blend of rye grass when were installing lawns. This is a nice blend as it almost never fails and establishes quick, but I personally don't like the look of it. So I am going to reseed my lawn from scratch, I'm going to use 100 % Kentucky Blue Grass. I know it is high maintenance but I think it will be worth it. Any tips or nightmare stories you've heard using this beautiful lawn grass?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-01, 07:52 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Nosoup,

As a matter of fact I have. I just read recently that KBG is the worst kind of grass that you could plant for grubs. They seem to love it.

Short fescue is the least resistant. It's still under discussion and testing.

Rye is an annual grass. Where do you work? Why are you planting an annual grass to establish a nice lawn?

What does anyone else think???

Gami

Old 07-16-01, 08:24 PM
Nosoup4you and Gami,
Normally, the rye is added to the blend because it germinate quickly, helps prevet erosion, and helps maintain the moisture while the slow germinating blue is getting started. It wouldn't hurt to add at least a little rye for the above reasons. Nothing, except maybe zoysia, beats a beautiful lawn of KBG. I miss my blue back in OH. It's too hot and dry in VA to keep it going. As Gami mentioned, it does require some grub control.
Good luck,
fred

Old 07-16-01, 08:43 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Fred! That explains it. I'm not a lawn person. I just stumbled across an article about KBG recently.

So is that why someone's lawn is brown way after everyone else's has turned green? Told you, not a lawn person!

Gami

Old 07-17-01, 06:19 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Oops! I mean short fescus is supposed to be the best at repelling grubs. They are studying the fact that SF emits something into the soil, but it hasn't been proven yet.

Gami

Old 07-17-01, 07:18 PM
I run 2 crews for a lanscaping company in Northeast Ohio, there are very few beatiful KBG lawns around here and I can't stand it. I can deal with grubs as I know how to detect and eliminate them. Any other problems you've heard of. Thanx guys and gals

Old 07-17-01, 07:27 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi No Soup,

Nope, that's the only negative thing I've heard about KBG. Do you suppose the grub problem is why you aren't seeing beautiful lawns in your area? Maybe you should go in the pest business!?

I have to tell you, I pulled up DIY around lunch time today and was looking for new posts, my stomach growling at the same time wondering what I can have for lunch. I looked at your name, and wondered why you go by "Nosoup4you" and decided to have "Campbell's Tomato Soup" with crackers. It really hit the spot.

Gami

Old 07-17-01, 07:38 PM
NoSoup from NE OH,
That's odd, I lived in Chesterland until '86 and all I can remember is the great Blue Grass. Used to shoot alot of golfs, and some of the courses also had blue. It loves the cooler weather and the many, many days of rainy NE OH weather.
Wouldn't think of trying KBG here in VA, too hot and we often have extended drought problems. Thus, K-31 Fescue.
later,
fred

PS:Go TRIBE

Old 07-17-01, 07:47 PM
Hey guys I got Nosoup4you from a Seinfeld episode. Fred I just looked up zoysia grass looks nice but they say hard to walk on in bare feet. Do me a favor look at http://www.zoysia.com and tell me if I'm gonna get scammed. I like the fact that you can use the plugs and then they will eliminate existing grass and weeds. Don't know if i believe that. But if you could check it out I would be most appreciative. P.S. I think nobody cares how their property looks anymore. We go to bid on jobs and the place will be completely over grown, and the owner always says we had it lanscaped last year. LOL There next comment is "That much? Hmm maybe will wate til next year"!

Old 07-17-01, 08:44 PM
Nosoup,
Hey, helped my Dad plug Zoysia in the middle of our front lawn in the late 50's. As I remember, it took about two years to fill in completely. You do have to control any weeds between the plugs while it is filling in. Just checked the site - didn't know you could plug it in an existing lawn. That's even better!! I wonder how much it is these days. It is just slightly stiff, but believe me, it's no problem with bare feet. Once established, it's like walking on a one inch carpet with a two inch pad. You won't be disappointed.
fred

Old 07-17-01, 09:01 PM
Thanx all!
- I emailed them for a trial for my company I hope they deliver. Last couple of years very little rain and 100 degree temperatures has killed the KBG. Mild winters have encouraged grubs.

Old 07-18-01, 12:16 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi No Soup,

I must have missed that episode. What made you call yourself Nosoup4You? Please enlighten us.

Gami

Old 07-18-01, 07:01 PM
Best episode ever. A very eccentric chef serves the best soup in town. He has a very specific way he wants his operation to run and takes offense to any deviation. Jerry orders no problem, George orders and gets his soup and notices he didn't get any bread- so he says "I didn't get any bread" The Soup ****(his nickname) replies "Bread is $2!" George complains and the Soup **** screams out "NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!!!!!" Then Elaine screws up and "NO SOUP FOR YOU 1 YEAR!!!" That and the one were Kramer takes his parking ticket money to the track are the best episodes!

Old 07-20-01, 08:06 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Well No Soup,

Thanks! I guess I missed two of the best episodes.

Gami