Photopoint

Old 07-17-01, 09:27 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

Hi All,

If anybody's interested, this is a place where you can store photos so that others may look at them. I did this for awhile, but didn't really use it.

We could share photos of our flowers, gardens, garden related problems, etc. You can keep personal photos in there and "mark" them so nobody can see them unless they have your password.

Then you just supply the link for the photo(s) you want to share.

Just a thought!

http://www.photopoint.com/

Gami

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-01, 01:03 PM
I think its a great idea! Now where is that camera..........

Old 07-18-01, 07:02 AM
No one else thinks this is a good idea?

Old 07-18-01, 08:09 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Bomber,

Of course they do. They're just being bashful.

I guess I didn't check it very good tho, because it's only free for awhile. It was free all the time when I used it, so I didn't read it real good.

Maybe someone knows of another site that is free?

You can store photos on Kodak's site, but you can't include a link to it. You need a password to view the photos, so that wouldn't work here. I didn't see where you can selectively hide any. It would be great for families that are scattered all over. That way you don't have to keep emailing photos. They can check Kodak for photos at their leisure and even order prints if they want.

A lot of people do store photos on sites like these to save hard drive space. I just file mine off to a CD.

Gami

Old 07-18-01, 06:28 PM
Gami,
Ditto for me on the CD burner. Have taken over 5,000 jpg's in the past two years. I snap everything!! It's great when film is - well, free.

Old 07-19-01, 07:13 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Fred,

My system was running very slow, so I filed ALL my remaining photos off to a CD. It freed up 30% of space. I have 302 photos stored on one CD and it has only used 41 MB out of 529 available. CD burners have come way down in price since I bought mine. I really don't know how I got along without it. Well yes I do--I had tons and tons of floppies to go through. Argh!

We recently bought a Digital/Video camera, and I now snap everything too. It's really nice to delete photos and not have to pay for the duds. I wouldn't consider them free yet tho! I really like the fact that I can take videos and get photos from them.

I'm still in the learning process. I can't get clear photos of complete flowerbeds--only single flowers, or small groups.

Have you heard of another site where photos can be stored and used on DIY?

Gami

Old 07-19-01, 08:03 AM
Hi Gami,
TechTV has mentioned a number of storage sites in the past.
I'll have to do some research to find a good one.
I take mostly large size photos, in file size that is, but they can be further reduced in size for the net. Resolution on stills is improving on V-Cameras, but they still have a way to go. Try setting the camera on a tripod or some type of stand. You may get slightly better results on your wider angle shots.
I just went back,back, and looked, and realized there is not a photography section here in DIY. There should probably be three: conventional photography, digital, and video.
I'll let you know on the site search.
fred

Old 07-20-01, 02:06 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Thanks Fred. I'll have to dig my tripod out and give it a whirl. It's such a hassle since our yard slopes to get all the legs at the right height.

Let us know if you come up with another site where we can post pics and share them here. Thanks for searching. I haven't had much time to "look around" lately.

Gami

Old 07-20-01, 04:00 PM
Hi Gami,
Still looking. Tried a couple yesterday; Photofun, MyFamily, and Ofoto. Had problems with a couple of them, beside the normal get knocked off by AOL. Well, I shouldn't blame them, it's probably noise in this podunk phone line connection. Anyway, the biggest problem I have with any site is the degradation of picture quality after posting. This is due to the resizing of the file size for the net.
I'll keep exploring.
Take care,
fred