grass clippings as mulch

Old 06-16-24, 08:45 AM
F
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
grass clippings as mulch

Can I use grass clippings for mulch to keep down weeds in my vegetable garden? the neighbor has quite a bit of grass clippings and I know it was spray a couple weeks ago for weeds. can you use the clippings is it was sprayed or should I wait until the next cutting so the spray will be gone? thanks

frank

Old 06-16-24, 09:37 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,310 Upvotes on 2,055 Posts
Grass clippings aren't the best for mulch as it often contains weed seeds. I usually compost the grass, then use the compost.

As for the "spray" a lot depends on what was used. Read the "usage restrictions" section of the documentation for what was sprayed. There are no instructions for compost use but the usage restrictions will give you an idea how long the chemicals linger and how long you might want to wait.

marksr voted this post useful.
Old 06-16-24, 09:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,973 Upvotes on 1,770 Posts
Dicamba and Clopyralid are examples of chemicals that are present in grass clippings for nearly 12 months after application, as even the compost does not break down the synthetic chemical that has been absorbed by the plant.

It really comes down to whether you are willing to take the risk of injesting chemicals in your food. Clippings from a non treated lawn is one thing... chemicals from a lawn that has ever been sprayed is another because you can't say there is zero risk.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: