Strawberry reminder

Old 07-22-01, 07:19 AM
All,
If you already have a June-bearing strawberry bed now is the time to start thinking about transplanting runner plants. I may be a bit premature, but I just moved 36 volunteers to a new bed. Since I have a make-shift
pop-up sprinkler there the newbies shold be okay. Yhere is a very good site you can check here:
http://www.zang.demon.co.uk/thegarde...rawberries.htm
fred

Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-01, 05:05 PM
Visiting Guest
Question speaking of strawberries.....

We planted some strawberries this spring, so they're not making this year. We had a good spring, but, we are in the middle of a heat wave(100+). Will the plants survive the heat and dryness? Should I cover them? The leaves are curling and looking dry. I water them about every other evening. Thank you.

Old 07-23-01, 05:25 PM
Hi DUSTYSKYS,
We are hot and dry too, but not quite 100. Watering our plants in mid-summer is certainly needed at times, and will help the plants through a stressful summer. However, you should probably be watering in the early morning as opposed to evening. Evening waterings can promote diseases such as
blight and fungus. Some of my mature plant leaves have dried brown also, but the new runner plants look well. A little bit of miracle-gro will help also.
fred