lilac

Old 07-29-01, 07:08 AM
Angry

Hi
I need some help for my lilac bush. the leaves are turning brown around the edges. The local nursery did not have any suggestions. The bush is at least 5 yrs. old but is only about 3 ft high. Dark purple blossoms.
I have another lilac growing about 10- feet from this one, with light lilac color that is beautiful and healthy. opinions Please. Thanks
Anita

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-01, 02:37 PM
Growing lilacs

This is a puzzlement. One would think that both lilacs would be thriving. I keep wondering if there is not a difference in soil and/or moisture conditions between the two locations which would be indicative of such symptoms. It does not sound like you have any of the disease problems usually associated with lilacs. Powdery mildew, which appears as a white coating on leaves, tends to be the most common problem with lilacs. Other problems include oyster scale, which looks like little oyster shells along branches. Under the scales are mean little sucking insects. Leaf miners wind tunnels in leaf tissue. Lilac borers bore through trunks and branches. Lilacs prefer full sun, well-drained soil, and an almost neutral pH. Check to see if there is a low spot where the affected bush is that would allow standing water. Make sure it is not shaded. You might also want to call your local Dept. of Agriculture Extension agent for more info about growing lilacs in your area and to find out how you can get a soil sample to find out the pH of your soil and recommendations for amending if necessary.

Old 07-31-01, 07:00 PM
lilacs

Thanks for your input.
both bushes are in full sun. the soil drains rapidly. There is a lot of rock in it. Do you think I should prune off all the branches with brown leaves. I did cut some of the worse ones off thinking that maybe it was an insect of some kind but I don't see anything. I water it when it really gets dry. How much water do they need and what ph.
thanks, Anita

Old 07-31-01, 07:46 PM
Growing lilacs

Don't prune off branches that have affected leaves. These branches have already formed buds for next year. Pruning now would reduce your blooms. Pruning is best done right after bloom. Removing spent blossoms will improve blooms. Actually lilacs should not be pruned, just older, taller 'canes' removed (never more than 1/3 a season). This is usually done to manage older, larger lilacs.

The browning of the edges are indicative of stress, if you do not see signs of disease or insects. Mulching from the base to the drip line will help conserve moisture. Use 2-3" of bark or wood chips. Lilacs need 1" water per week in June and July when they are forming their buds for next year. Begin decreasing water in August in order to harden off the tissues for winter. One of the reasons it is important that the soil be well drained is that roots will freeze into a block of ice in winter, killing the plant, if soil is waterlogged.