Ticks and Chiggers

Old 08-04-01, 10:04 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi All,

I thought I'd add what I read in Mother Earth News, Sept. 2001 magazine.

To keep ticks away, take sulfur in the spring. Since sulfur tastes awful, mix 1/8 tsp. powder with a little honey or molasses. Take once a day for a week in the spring. The 2nd week take every other day. The 3rd week take every 3 days and thereafter once a month through tick season.

The man who sent in this suggestion said he worked outside all summer and could feel ticks crawling on him, but they never "bit" him (or attached themselves).

I understand this also works for chiggers and that sulfur is a deterrent for ticks and chiggers in the garden.

Gami

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-01, 07:56 PM
Talking Repellent for Ticks & Chiggers

Yuck!

Old 08-06-01, 04:30 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Patricia,

I've never tasted sulfur, but I'll take his word for it that it's awful. We are lucky not to have those two pests on our property. I imagine that is because of the 1,000+ Canada geese that spend the summer here fertilizing our property and feeding the fish. Several stay the winter also. Some friends up the road have ticks abound, but don't have a lake or water source to attract the geese.

We've never had to put a flea/tick collar on our 3 cats. One does occasionally get a tick because she hunts the fields across the road. She brought a baby bird back recently while we were sitting outside. Made me sick! I guess that's part of nature, and she does a bang up job on the mice, crickets, etc.

I would certainly consider the sulfur solution if need be.

Gami

Old 08-06-01, 06:37 PM
Sulphur

Hello, Gami!

I have drunk well water with sulfur content. It smells and tastes like rotten eggs. Yuck.

I really haven't thought much about ticks the past few years because I have not been in the woods. I live in the city now. Today I watered before I went to work. While standing at the copy machine at work, I happened to look down and saw a tick crawling up my shirt. I have had the creepy crawlies all day, constantly feeling through this this head of thick red hair looking for ticks.

You come up with some great info. Sure glad you are on board.

Patricia

Old 08-06-01, 07:59 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Patricia,

Thank you! I'm just trying to liven things up a bit. I'll have to think of something for tomorrow if this keeps up!

I know what you mean about feeling those things crawling on you once you've seen one. Strange it was at your work! Someone must have carried some in. You'll be feeling them for days now.

My DIL has red, thick hair. My Mom, who turned 79 today, still has red hair (Hmmmm), but it's not thick anymore.

Gami