Mint

Old 08-14-01, 08:43 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi All,

I asked about mint before and tried everything and found that Roundup appears to be the best method to get rid of it. (Thanks for that advice.)

Next question, it seems like it took a long time for it to start to turn yellow--over a week. Does that sound right??? Or did we not apply it heavy enough??? My husband kept saying it looks like he fertilized it. We're not familiar with Roundup. Since it's starting to look sick, how long will it be until the roots should also be dead so I can plant something else there? I don't want to rush it and have to go through this again!

Thanks,

Gami

Old 08-14-01, 02:07 PM
Visiting Guest
Gami,

I'm glad the Roundup worked. I find it very effective on my mint when it gets out of control.

Roundup does take a while to have an effect. This is because it has to be absorbed by the leaves, then it interrupts part of the photosynthetic process. However, the plant continues to live for a while on stored energy. The plant dies when it exhausts its energy supply.

The great thing about Roundup is that, while it takes a while to kill, you can plant in the same area just a couple days after application. This is because the residue breaks down very quickly into relatively non-toxic components. Environmentally speaking, this is the best of the chemical herbicides.

If you want to plant while leaving the mint in place, you can go ahead and do that now. If you want to remove the mint stalks, I would wait until they are good and dead-looking (dry and brown) before removing. Now that it's turning yellow, that shouldn't be too long.

Old 08-14-01, 02:54 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Smile Thank you, Leu!!!

Hi Leu,

Well, guess what? Most of the mint is brown. We were looking at it from upstairs, and it looked yellow because there is some Johnson grass and nutsedge in there too. That's the yellow we were seeing. Sorry, I should have walked down there.

I'm trying to get a jump on everything that needs done in the fall and want to move some day lillies back there. I've been dividing since July 15th and with regular watering, they're making it just fine--even tho it's hot! Some Stellas have even rebloomed.

Thanks again for the advice. Since I don't like to use chemicals, I've been trying for two seasons to get rid of the mint and lemon balm. Roundup is going to come in VERY handy in a LOT of places. Sure glad I bought a big bottle!

Gami

Old 08-27-01, 08:16 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Leu or Anyone,

Now that the mint is dead, is it OK to till without pulling it up? I've been trying to get rid of this for so long that you might say I'm scared of it. It's been brown for awhile, but I wanted to make sure it got down to the roots.

I thought I'd till, then water the soil and wait to see if anything sprouts and spray again. Sound good? I'd really like to move plants there this fall, but I could wait until spring if I had to.

Thanks,

Gami

Old 08-27-01, 02:40 PM
Visiting Guest
Gami,

I think you can till if you want to now. You probably have a little left behind if you missed a spot (I always do), but it won't be like tilling the original mint-infested plot.

However, I really don't think you need to till. I would just trim them down to stubble, mulch well, then stick your plants in wherever you want them. The exception might be if you are wanting to start veggie seeds in rows or something.

I've never tilled my garden. And I've stopped even turning it over with a shovel. I find that it's better in the long run not to disturb the soil structure (and it only seems to stir up weed seeds). I just mulch heavily then open a planting hole where I need it. In my veggie garden, I just add new straw over the old. I get incredible tomatoes this way, so tall that I had to build a trellis for them. I've hardly had to water at all this year (in GA!). AND, I started with nothing but rock-hard clay!

Old 08-27-01, 03:07 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Smile Thanks Leu!

Hi Leu,

That's what I have is rock-hard clay, or is cement harder? Whichever is harder, that's what I have! It's been about 7 years since compost or anything has been added in that area, so I wanted to till some amendments in. I'm worried about pulling up weeds seeds too, so I think I'll do as you recommend and just add some compost to my planting hole and then mulch.

THANKS again! I never thought I'd get a kick out of seeing a bunch of dead plants!

Those must be some tomatoes!

Gami

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: