Garden on end of sloped backyard

Old 08-19-01, 10:13 AM
Visiting Guest
My backyard slopes slightly and I have put a garden at the back of the yard against the fence. We also have a square drain in the left corner of the garden. Next year I want to raise the garden much higher as when rain falls it gets water logged in areas as water also pours into my garden from neighbours as we have the drain. What should I do with regards to drainage. I was thinking of putting PVC piping right along the back and add my soil on top. Hopefully this will help with water draining from my neighbours on both sides. Any ideas on this would be welcomed.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-01, 05:33 PM
Draining backyard

You do have some drainage to think about. It is difficult to visualize what you are up against. The only way to tell what you really need to do is stand outside during a heavy rain and watch how the water drains. If you have "the drain" then you certainly don't want to do anything that will impede the flow of the runoff toward that drain. You will have to consider the side effects of building up the garden area in regard to its interference with the waterflow. Don't lay a drain unless you have an outlet for the waterflow. A major consideration is that you don't want any water draining toward the foundation of your home. If "the drain" is adequate for the runoff for your neighbors and yourself, it might be best to build up low areas so that all the land around "the drain" slopes toward it. Best of luck.

Old 08-19-01, 06:48 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Donald,

Our garden (and yard) slopes also--5' in 50'. You didn't say how long your garden is, but ours is 50'. We have a problem with erosion, and you may have also. I lost 4" of topsoil before I asked what to do about it.

If you think yours will erode, let me know, and I'll tell you what I was advised to do.

Gami

Old 08-21-01, 12:00 PM
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Gami
Hi Donald,

Our garden (and yard) slopes also--5' in 50'. You didn't say how long your garden is, but ours is 50'. We have a problem with erosion, and you may have also. I lost 4" of topsoil before I asked what to do about it.

If you think yours will erode, let me know, and I'll tell you what I was advised to do.

Gami

Old 08-21-01, 12:02 PM
Visiting Guest
Garden on end of sloped backyard

Our backyard is small only 36'. The drain is away from the house so the rain does not drain towards the foundation of the house. I think in time the garden will erode.

Old 08-21-01, 02:44 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Donald,

It doesn't sound like you'll have the problem I had, but I'll give you a few tips.

I was told not to till the whole garden, but till a spot wide enough to plant, then skip an area to walk in and till, etc. Mulch with straw or something to keep the soil in place. Don't till it up in the fall and leave your mulch in place. With no plants to help hold the soil in, the soil will wash away with the fall rains. The following spring, till the rows you walked in (tilling up the old mulch) leaving the previous planted rows for your new walkways. You can work in compost or composted manure to each planting row in the spring.

This really worked for me. I tried planting day lillies at the bottom of the garden thinking that would stop the soil. Well, it did to a certain point, but the soil took a turn and washed out in the grass and down the hill.

The garden will take longer to dry out before you can plant also. I'm about 2 weeks later at planting than those with level gardens.

If you have anyway to make your garden level, I'd highly recommend it. This has almost taken the fun out of gardening.

Gami