tennessee agricultural extension

Old 08-21-01, 11:34 PM
zone7
Visiting Guest
my local ag ext. is not helping me, i keep getting suggestions to try that and everyone keeps mentioning it. here it is, so you can see what im talking about. see if you can find a list of recommended anything at this site. http://www.hamiltontn.gov/agextensio...ure/index.html makes me feel like using bad language!!!

Old 08-21-01, 11:47 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Zone 7,

Some County agents are better than others. Have you tried calling them or emailing them??? I agree, most states/counties have a lot of info in their websites. In yours, all I saw was references.

I usually email them and have to wait 2-3 days for an answer. I get quicker answers by asking on boards.

Kansas City has Master Gardeners who will help with your questions. I notice you have a listing for Master Gardeners in that website. Try emailing them and see what happens. Ask for a phone number. I think they take turns being "on call".

At the Flower & Garden Shows there are always Master Gardeners, and they are very helpful and knowledgable. They have literature with phone numbers to call for help. I've never done that, but one time when I called our county agent, the agent must have been out and they referred my call to a master gardener. He would have talked my leg off if I had let him.

If you don't have success with your agent and you've asked a question here and have been referred there, come back and let us know, and we'll try and do some more digging to answer your question.

Gami

Old 08-21-01, 11:59 PM
zone7
Visiting Guest
thank you, gami! now at least someone knows what im talking about! i have tried emailing and i got no response. iis pretty easy to look up just about anything, i am being so cautious with this question because i am trying to research cold hardy palms for the lower half of zone 7. i have read enough to know the expense involved and i want to really know what im doing. a few years ago, i lived in savannah and i really miss the palms. id love to have some in my yard. i did find a site called the southeastern palm and exotic plant society- some of them mention texas or louisiana- im was just trying to find tenn. specific info. thanks for your help!

Old 08-22-01, 12:13 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
You're welcome Zone 7. I'd probably feel like using bad language also!

Question...Does anybody have palms growing in your neck of the woods? If so, you might knock on their door and ask what kind they are and where they got them. I have found that gardeners in general are very friendly and always willing to share their knowledge. If I see something I really like and have no idea what it is, I'm not bashful. If they're not home, I sometimes leave a note on their door and they always call. Everyone is flattered by your admiration. They usually invite me over for a tour of their gardens.

It's late, but I'll see what I can find on it tomorrow.

Gami

Old 08-22-01, 07:41 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hardy Palm Trees

Hi Zone 7,

Here are some links. I think you'll especially find the first one most informative -

http://www.hardiestpalms.com/links.html
http://www.wsu.edu/~ibarclay/palmlinks.html
http://www.wap.atfreeweb.com/Palmdc/

I was very surprised to read that some palms are hardy for our zone. Hmmmmmmm!

Gami

Old 08-23-01, 11:54 AM
zone7
Visiting Guest
THANK YOU! BOY, YOU SPEND HOURS SURFING -NOT FINDING WHAT YOU WANT- THEN YOU COME IN HERE AND ASK ONE LITTLE QUESTION AND IT MAKES EVERYTHING SO MUCH EASIER!THE SITE YOU GAVE ME DOES LIST TN, AND EVEN THE VERY CITY I LIVE IN, THANK YOU AGAIN!

Old 08-23-01, 09:25 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Zone 7,

YOU'RE WELCOME!!! Have you tried searching with Google. Since I found out about that search engine, I've never been skunked. I asked it to find "palms hardy for TN". I can type in some strange things and always get an answer. If I make a typo and don't notice it, it will ask me if I meant to search for "_______" and pulls up what I meant. It's great!

Gami

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: