Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Traditional forester stuck in the city...please help!

Traditional forester stuck in the city...please help!

Old 09-06-01, 02:03 AM
texastrees
Visiting Guest
I have a project to help shape up the grounds of an old apartment complex. I know the trees, their physiology, and how they should be placed ecologically. BUT, they are in a very messy state, as is the soil and turf around them (very old complex). I thought I'd drop a question to y'all as I begin my research into how to rejuvenate and aesthetize the existing trees/shrubs and grasses on this property. I know how bad compaction is for trees in the forest, so I've suggested beds around the larger trees. I would absolutely appreciate any other suggestions for the soil, grass and trees.

Old 09-06-01, 04:48 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Rejuvenation of older landscape

One of your best sources of free advice will be your local Dept. of Agriculture Extension Agent. He will know everything (or should) about what plants do well in your area and will be a source of info re: thinning and pruning and/or removal of older landscape plantings, amending the soil (The Agent can help you get a soil test.), and he can recommend the best grass seed mix for your area as well as a lawn management program for your particular growing zone. Perhaps the Agent would not mind taking a tour of the project you are undertaking and give you some tips. You might even want to participate in their Master Gardener Program. There may be folks in the Master Gardener Program who might want to volunteer some time to help with your project. The classes are very informative and a lot of fun. It's a great way to get acquainted with gardening in a new growing zone. You will learn what annuals/perennials do best in your area and underneath thirsty trees which will compete for water with your plants. Best regards.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: