Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Winterize ivy in a planter? Cold/Warm? Huh?

Winterize ivy in a planter? Cold/Warm? Huh?

Old 09-06-01, 07:58 AM
Visiting Guest
I have an English ivy in a 20"sq cedar planter, climbing a 6' obelisk. Grew really well this year and I don't want to lose it and have to start again next spring. I'm in Canada (Southern Ont) and we get hard winters.

Question: What should I do with this great big thing?! If I move it indoors will it be too warm for it? Are they supposed to go dormant? I have a sheltered shop that stays around 45-50 degrees...would it be better there?

And yes, uh, I've already tried the "let's just procrastinate and leave it on the deck all winter"...deader than a doornail.

I'm obviously not a gardener and any direction you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Joan

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-01, 05:35 PM
Visiting Guest
Saving your Ivy

I have had the same problem.. Actually the solution is quite easy.. just take it inside..As long as it has some light it will do just fine.. don't forget to water it on occasion.. about once a week to 10 days.. I have also found that plants inside are likely to get aphids.. they can be easily controlled using soap spray...

Old 09-07-01, 05:08 PM
Overwintering ivy in planter

Your planter can provide you with great joy during the winter months. Trim back and treat for insects before moving indoors. There will be some shock due to the change in environment. Your indoor environment during winter may be too hot and dry. Overwintering in the shed may be a better option if the planter will have adequate light. Trim and treat for insects before moving.

Old 09-08-01, 06:33 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Joan,

One way to keep a plant in check--I'm assuming you don't want it to get much larger--is to prune the top growth (and you can prune it hard). These can be used for cuttings which will root in water. Then you can root prune and replant in a smaller pot. I have an ivy that I've been doing this to for years. The cuttings make new plants for hanging pots, window boxes, etc. Pruning also encourages the plant to bush out. When root pruning, you don't want to butcher it. Take into consideration how much top growth you cut off and use that as your guide.

Gami

Old 09-11-01, 02:56 AM
melbas1
Visiting Guest
Cool ivy

I just registered here, and I saw your question on ivy. How do you get one that big going? Obviously I'm not a gardener either, but I'm trying to be.

thanks

Melodie

Old 09-13-01, 03:30 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks Gordon, twelvepole and Gami for responding. I guess I'll bring it in for the winter...and with the weather tonight (brrrrr) I think I'd better get on this. Postively Fall-like out there.

Melodie, I honestly don't know "what" I did to get it going so well! I am NOT a gardener and I just threw two ivy plants into it and started training them up the obelisk. Mind you, it's not completely covered yet, but that is of course my objective. (Also have little white outdoor lights twined around and poking thru the ivy; looks nice)

As far as "treating it" with a "soap spray"....well, uh, any direction on THAT would also be appreciated. I'd hate to try to save it by bringing it in, but end up soaping it to death. Is it like 1 part of something to 10 parts water? And then, spray the whole thing randomly, or get every leaf or what? (I'm sorry; to a serious gardener I must be cause for some "eye-rolling").

Again, thanks for the info...I feel better now.

Joan

Old 09-13-01, 04:57 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi again Joan,

It is good to spray it with a soap spray. There are different dilution rates. I like 1 TBS. dish soap (non-bacterial) to 1 gallon of water. That kills all soft body insects. Some also use baby shampoo.

Another alternative, since ivy is a very hardy plant, is to spray it with the hose. Use a fairly strong spray. Any insects will be blown away.

Have no fear! No eyes are rolling! We've all been there. I don't consider myself an experienced gardener. I learn something new everyday. The best info you can get is from other gardeners who have experienced the same problems you have. It beats reading a book!

Gami