Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

clyde robin seed co.-"no mow lawn replacement seed mix"

clyde robin seed co.-"no mow lawn replacement seed mix"

Old 10-12-01, 01:11 AM
zone7
Visiting Guest
i was thinking of using this to replace my lawn. when i checked the site, it didnt list the types of seed used. i was wondering if anyone had used this and if it worked . if anyone has any ideas or experience with something similar, please post. thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-01, 12:08 PM
zone7,
Sounds Good ----- BUT.
I read it as a "flowering lawn" - english daisies with a low growing grass mix. Actually reads "NoMow contains miniature English Lawn Daisy, Carpet Alyssum, Baby Blue Eyes, Red Yarrow, Dwarf flowering clover, Dwarf fine leafed grass, and other herbaceous plants."
You might want to give it a test area in a section of your yard. It doesn't suggest how to combat weeds - I see a potential problem.
Personally,I keep my current 'flowering weed lawn' all trimmed the same height with my riding lawn tractor.
good luck,
fred

Old 10-12-01, 03:37 PM
I have tried another seed company's wildflower (not specifically a lawn replacement) mix and view the results with mixed feelings.
Got only a bearly satisfactory show and result the first season, but like Fred has indicated, keeping unwanted species (weeds) out was a major problem. Had to weed out unwanted material and reseed the second season and never did get the desired effect. The weeds just seemed to establish too fast to allow the desired plants to get a good start. In areas where I want a display, I now plant with annuals and perennials which have been selected to mimic a wildflower show and keep the space between the plants cultivated and weeded - I think this kind of defeats the whole purpose of the exercise for what you want. >
Have seen red clover used quite successfully as a lawn replacement, and once established, it tends to outgrow the unwanted weed plants, but bees can become a problem if you (or kids or pets) want to use the 'lawn'.
I have heard about some of the no-mow/low-mow turf research that is going on, but I think it will be a long while before it has been properly developed, tested and approved for general consumption (and even then, will probably cost an arm, leg and your first born...)
I'm just keeping the mower engine tuned and the blade sharp for now...

Howie

Old 10-16-01, 04:08 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Zone 7,

That sounds like our lawn--but not on purpose.

Are you wanting to cut your mowing time down? How hard do you want to work? You could slowly remove your sod and expand your flowerbeds, shrub areas, etc. Then you just have to keep adding mulch. Much less time eventually than mowing once a week.

Gami

Old 10-17-01, 06:54 AM
zone7
Visiting Guest
yes, that is what im eventually doing, expanding my beds and shrubs. planting ground covers on the banks. i remember asking you about crown vetch,too. im just an impatient person! i do wish i could do something that would be quick, but i guess ill have to do it the slow way. thank you for all the advice!

Old 10-17-01, 02:08 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Zone 7,

Time flies. What you plant today will be huge in 3 years. I went through all my photos recently and put all my gardening photos together. I CANNOT believe what my beds looked like when I first planted them. I remember taking walks everyday noticing every new leaf. NOW several years later, there is no comparison.

I hope you're taking photos as your gardens progress. It will give you encouragement. I don't blame you for cutting back on your grass area. In fact, I think having less mowing and more flowers/shrubs makes a very interesting yard.

Gami

Old 10-17-01, 03:12 PM
Zone7 and Gami,
I agree 100%
Gami, I was going to show Zone7 my pics of the lawm? area I converted from rock and weeds to flower beds. But, it looks as though my personal website has vanished(another dot.com failure??). Maybe their server is just temp down. If it comes back on line, I'll let you know.
fred

Old 10-20-01, 03:43 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Fred,

Don't you love computers!!! I sure wish there was a way to post pics here. I still haven't had a chance to put any pictures anywhere. We're getting our house ready to sell. I'll have to gander over to the forums on "how to do everything". I'm stumped on a few things.

Gami