growing standards

Old 10-17-01, 02:27 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I was plant shopping the other day and would like to know step by step instructions on how to grow 'standards' I'm not sure if this is the correct terminology for them. But they are those rounded type plants on a stick. The plants that I want to use are lavenders can anybody help me????

Old 10-19-01, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure if lavender will work - might be worth a try, though...

I have not done this myself, but I understand the process is to select a single stem to train and keep the rest of the growth cut back at ground level. You might want to stake this stem at least for the first little while to keep it straight and upright until it hardens off and gets strong enough to support itself. Trim any side shoots growing from this stem until it reaches the desired height, then allow the top of the plant to form 'branches'. It may be helpful to clip the leader shoot at this point to help encourage the branching. From there, it is a matter of keeping growth from the base and along the main stem clipped back and shaping the top by careful pruning. Probably best to containerize the plant from the start, as you will have to protect it from freezing (bring it indoors) if it is normally treated as an annual in your area. Also be aware that most plants need a period of dormancy when they will likely stop growing and possible lose their leaves. Watering should be reduced and fertilizing stopped during this period and temperature and light may need to be adjusted to the plant's native conditions for this dormancy to be effective. Fertilizers should be used very sparingly if at all prior to the dormancy period to discourage a flush of soft growth which would be more likely to die back.

Just as in Bonzai, Espalier or Topiary, the whole process will likely take a lot of time (many years for many non-traditional standards), so be prepared to invest a lot of TLC and make that commitment.

For a lot of the more common standards such as roses and euonymus, a native stronger stem is used as the 'stick' part of the plant, and the desired cultivar of the same species is grafted onto this stem at the top to form the bush part of the standard - I'm not sure that you could do this with lavender, however

I'm sure there are a few websites out there that would give you a better idea how to go about this... (over to you, Gami )

Good luck

Howie

Old 10-20-01, 04:26 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Magnolia,

I did find a website with drawings. Be sure and go to page 2 for further instructions. You might have fun clicking on some of the other projects in that site.

That looks like fun. I'll have to try that. Thanks for the reminder.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Howie!

http://gardening.about.com/library/prm/aa070801a.htm

Gami

Old 10-20-01, 04:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I stand corrected - lavender might work!
Thanks for the website, Gami - Had a hunch you would come thru!!!
Magnolia, please be sure to keep us posted as your 'pet project' progresses!
Howie

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: