Hypertufa Molds

Old 10-20-01, 03:52 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi All,

Help! I'm making hypertufa pots and having a problem finding something for the piece that you put inside so you can just pack the "mud" around it. I bought one of those large, round, plastic tubs that has rope handles at a home store. I'd like to come up with something sturdy that will be permanent so I can make several and give some for gifts. I could figure it out if it was square. I tried several buckets, etc., in the store, but nothing would give me a 2" thickness for the walls.

For smaller ones, I made the mixture thicker and packed it up the sides. That was a lot of work, so I hope someone can come up with a better idea.

I'd sure appreciate it!

Gami

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-01, 01:44 AM
Hi Gami

My better half suggested you try a styrofoam cooler (she thinks the cheap ones come in various sizes and shapes, but may not be as easy to find now that everyone has started getting the snow shovels and Christmas merchandise out...) or one of those octagonal styrofoam winter rose protectors (hats) and pack the mud around them, leave the styrofoam inside and just cut it below the soil line.

I was thinking you could make some sort of a piping bag like the ones used for piping icing on a cake, only a lot bigger, made out of an old gunny sack or similar with one corner cut out to squeeze the mud thru and around your form.

Haven't tried it, but it might work... just a thought...

Have fun

Howie

Old 11-03-01, 05:10 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Howie,

Thanks for responding. I was reading over here last night, and thought, DARN, nobody has answered this.

I wanted to find something for an inner mold, but I think I'll do as your better half suggests and try packing the mud to the form. I did pick up a styrofoam cooler for a quarter at a garage sale and have been checking all the thrift stores lately for interesting shapes. I've come up with some beauts. Even a Jell-O mold in the shape of the U.S. that I'm going to make into a stepping stone. Hopefully, the lines that separate the states will show up.

I found two kids traffic cones that I plan on using for stands for gazing balls. All sorts of treasures out there if you take the time to look!

I'd better get at it. My thanks also to your better half.

Gami