Shrub planting, still time to plant?

Old 11-08-01, 07:40 AM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

I live in MI. Is there still time to plant shrubs? I have a varity to plant, lilac, spirea, hydrandga etc... How late is to late? If I can't plant them, what do I do to protect them over the winter?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-01, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
My experience has been that you can plant right up until the ground has frozen hard if it is potted or b&b stock. Just be sure to backfill carefully to avoid air pockets and water thoroughly (this will help get some of the air out as well as saturate and give the plant some moisture for when it comes out of dormancy). If planting deciduous shrubs and perennials, that should be all you need to do, with evergreens it might be an idea to spray with an anti-descicant or wrap lightly with burlap to reduce moisture loss due to transpiration. I wouldn't add any fertilizer until the spring when the plants start leafing out.

If it's too cold to plant, I'd make sure the plants are well watered, then heal them in the ground in their pots until the spring. Adding a layer of hay or peat moss would help insulate the roots also.

Good Luck

Howie (Toronto)

Old 11-09-01, 01:49 AM
Plant until ground is frozen...

You can plant up until the ground is too frozen to dig.

Remember to keep the plants watered until the ground freezes. The roots are still growing and developing. If there isn't sufficient rainfall then water (an inch every week).

Old 11-18-01, 09:11 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi BobF,

I've been curious, so finally decided to ask. Are you the BobF I know from another forum? If so, how long have you been a moderator over here? I'm sure you hang out more on the home improvement forums.

Gami

Old 11-19-01, 11:06 PM
Oops!

I forgot to mention not to put the peat or straw down around the healed in plants until after the ground has frozen. Mice and other small rodents are always looking for a comfortable winter home, and you couldn't make them happier unless you want to feed them as well... You can mulch after freeze up as they should have found some place else by then.

Old 11-20-01, 01:28 AM
Gami - yes, its me....

Gami - yes its me. I don't think there's more than one of us.

Old 11-20-01, 02:34 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Well, I thought so, but I wasn't sure. I'm sure they keep you busier over here.

Gami