Lemon tree (very pretty)

Old 01-04-02, 06:21 AM
Lemon tree (very pretty)

Anyone know what a lemon tree seedling should look like?? Im sure that if there is a picture of one on the web, Gami knows where it is. I planted a lemon seed about 3 weeks ago, and I have a sprout, but I want to know if it is a tree seedling or a weed. I thought I had a grapefruit seedling, but it turned out to be a weed.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-02, 01:48 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Eric,

You have such faith in me. I hope I never have to let you down!

I did find a site on growing a lemon tree with photos of leaves, but unfortunately, they're rather large. It looks like they should eventually turn dark green. I would think they'd even smell a little like lemon, but not sure.

http://www.easyfruit.co.uk/lemons/

Good luck! I've never tried that. I found it interesting that some seeds won't produce a true tree as they are grafted, but the lemon does produce true from seed.

Gami

Old 01-07-02, 02:14 AM
Gami,
EVERYONE has faith in you We were talking about you in the new "first time gardener" thread. We were wondering when you were going to show up Anyway, yes it interesting that some fruit seeds will actually germinate. In fact, I just noticed on Friday that a grapefruit seed I planted in an already potted plant here in my office has germinated. it took 3 1/2 weeks, but it happened. If you like fruit, flowering, and/or nut trees, I would recommend subscribing to Stark Bros (www.starkbros.com) The website is down right now (at least it was yesterday), but the catalog has a WONDERFUL selection of different varieties of apple, plum, cherry, apricot, nectarine, and peach trees. They also offer patio lemon and orange kits (but those are only for zones 7-10). A whole bunch of other stuff as well that would take me all day to get into, but it is a WONDERFUL catalog. I would defintely recommend it. Thanks for the link again, and I will go check it out now as work is slow

Old 01-07-02, 02:53 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Eric,

Yeah, I see! My ears should have been burning as I was trying to find something on a lemon tree! I really got a kick out of reading everyone's comments. Just don't start calling me "Bugsy", please!

Twelvepole, if you visit Sierra, and we hope you ALL do, you'll see I'm not anywhere near green! Loved your comments. (Sorry, but I forgot to add that on the other post!) You'll also get a glimpse at Howie, and maybe the rest of you some day!

I do get the Starks catalog. It's one of the few that has great gardening info in it. It's a good reference.

My husband promises a green house some day! Then maybe I'll try some fruit trees.

See you over there -------------->!

Gami

Old 01-07-02, 03:22 AM
Gami,
A greenhouse is great. Ive got a 8x10x7 hoop house. Ive been waiting to see how it holds up to a New England winter, but so far, weve gotten no snow, so I cant assess for sure. I have to redo the door in the spring because I forgot to waterproof it, and now it is all warped at the bottom, and the cold air gets in. The sage and oregano I had in there went buh-bye because of the cold. www.hoophouse.com Sent to my house in less than a week (but maybe thats because it only had to come 50 miles from yarmouth, mass ) But it is great. That is how I was able to keep my cucumbers producing until mid october when we had our first frost. Cant wait to start planting again!

Old 01-07-02, 04:11 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Eric,

Thanks for that link. I've been thinking about making one out of PVC pipe. My son is a plumber in Arkansas. We went there for Christmas, but I didn't think about asking if he could get pipe at a discount. I'm not sure when we'll see them again. We have this "thingy" out here if you build any kind of structure, it has to have the same siding and roof material as your house. I'd only have to ask 5 families, but I've been debating on whether I should just put it up, since it should be considered a greenhouse, and you can't have it all boxed in. Nobody else out here has flowerbeds. Most of them work and have your basic shrubs, etc. by their house. I recently found out they call me "The Flower Lady". If they were more into gardening, they might realize something like that is a necessity.

I was also wondering how it would hold up in the winter. We don't usually have a lot of snow, but very high winds. We're out in the open and no trees for protection where I'd have to put it. Let me know how yours fares this winter. I think I'll definitely make it an early spring project. I get a little tired of dragging my plants in and out of the garage on sheets of plywood in the spring. I saw on TV recently where a nursery put shade fabric on their hoop house.

We made a seed starting rack with lights, so I'll have that to play with this winter. I could send the plans if anyone is interested. There's 4 racks, but to use the 4th rack, you have to attach lights to the ceiling.

Thanks again for the link. It's nice to have a materials list. I wasn't sure what all we'd need. It would really be nice to extend the growing time.

Have you tried any kind of heat? When I lived in OK, I could put a 100 watt light bulb in a cold frame and start plants early without any danger of frost.

Gami

Old 01-07-02, 05:18 AM
Gami,
Ive only had it completed since March of 2000. This winter, I had gotten a couple of 1200 watt space heaters from my grandfather, but again, because of the warped door, they only heated the house to 55 degrees when it was 35 outside. Not good enough for the hearty tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants, but definetly more than enough for the garlic and green onions in there as we speak Next winter, I will have a better idea of how it holds up.

As far as seed starting goes, I have purchased two plant bulbs; one I keep at home in my room (where I have the lemon sprout) and a second that I have at work. Do you have any links on starting cilantro from seed? I have tried twice, once at home and once at work, to do this. The seeds germinate, but once the true leaves come out, they fall over. I do notice a very delicate stem, and Im thinking that maybe they are just top heavy. I have to buy a plant from home deopt every year (I know its annual anyway), but I find it more rewarding to grow herbs from seed.

*sigh* Is it past the date of the last freeze yet? Im getting antsy

Eric

Old 01-07-02, 05:24 AM
Another great book....

Ortho's All About Greenhouses

ISBN 0-89721-463-3

Old 01-07-02, 05:39 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi again Eric,

I had given up on starting my own seeds until I tried the soilless mix. Any nursery should have it. Something in regular potting soil causes the seedling to get real thin just about above the soil and then they fall over. It's called damping off. I haven't had any problem since trying the other mix--with any type of plant.

I have cilantro in my herb garden and it reseeds. You might start it early, but then put some in the ground so it will keep returning.

Yes, antsy is the word! I'm in the process of cleaning our sunroom so I can start some herbs on my seed rack and also propagate some begonias and impatiens that I brought in for the winter. It's too early for flower seeds.

Is it too early to say, "Think Spring!" Yep, it prolly is!

Gami

Old 01-07-02, 06:26 AM
Thanks Gami. I'll make a note of that stuff...

Wow, is it really 1:30 already? Talking to you has made this day FLY by

Hmmm..... now what?? *tries to think of what plants gave him a headache last year*