Re: Seeds

Old 01-08-02, 09:42 AM
Lightbulb Re: Seeds

Hello 2002! I'm a newbie gardener & wonder does anyone have any seeds or know where to find seeds that have a tolerance level for newbie's.

I'm planning on planting a food producing garden with items such as, Veggies, fruit, and even grains. If anyone does have any, I'll be more than willing to reimburse for postage.

Thanx

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-02, 02:50 PM
Hey Quark!
If you go to www.johnnyseeds.com, they have a great selection of seeds. Also, your local nursery or hardware store should have a selection of seeds packs as well, One of the stores here in Rhode Island already has packets of sunflower seeds out on display.

Youve picked a great place to come for advice. We are all happy to help.

Eric

Gami, you want to take it from here with the links?!

Old 01-08-02, 04:11 PM
Hi Quark

Gami, I'm going to let you tell Quark about the Seed Swap at Sierra, I think Twelvepole and Bomber are getting tired of me sending people there!!!

(Quark, if you want a head start, check SwEetAnGl's First Time Gardener thread...)

Howie

Old 01-09-02, 01:33 AM
Howie,
Im not tired of you sending people there - Im registered there also.

Eric

Old 01-09-02, 03:26 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Quark,

The only seeds I have are pumpkins and acorn squash. Let me know if you want some. If you buy your seeds locally, they should carry the varieties that will do well for your area, but Johnnies is an excellent place to order seeds.

I can't think of any plant that is really difficult to grow. Zucchini is suspectible to the squash vine borer. One day your plant will be healthy, and the next day it's sprawled all over the ground, but well worth growing if you like it.

What kind of fruit do you want? Most fruit is best started by plants or small shrub starts. Strawberries are very easy to grow. They should also be available at your nursery this spring. If you order them, they will send them at the time you should be able to plant.

I would suggest you order several seed catalogs. They're available on their websites and their cards are usually stuck in gardening magazines.

Gami

Old 01-11-02, 06:40 AM
Lightbulb Seeds

Excellent reply's. It's my 1st time out & I wanna make a nice harvest. So any help possible would be nice. I couldn't get into the seed swap b/c of the email criteria.

Gami, I could definitely use some of your stock. The garden will mainly be composed of this:

Fruit: Grape, strawberry, rasberry, cantaloupe & water melon
Veggies: Broc, spin, collards, green peps, chilli peps
Beans: Dry & Lima
Roots: Onion, Sweet pots, & carrots
Grain: Oats, wheat, bran

Pumkins & Acorn Squash would make for nice highlights. If you send 'em, I'll pay for the post office stuff.

Thanx

Zero Infinity
Quark
2525 Kirkwood St.
Winston-Salem, NC 27105-4937

Old 01-11-02, 07:29 AM
Quark,
What types of pumpkins are you looking for?

Eric

Old 01-13-02, 02:43 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Quark,

I'll send you some seeds. I have the jack '0 lantern pumpkins, whatever they're called.

You'll need vines to start your grapes, plants for strawberries and canes for raspberries--and lots of room with full sun if you want to grow everything mentioned.

It sounds like you'll have a busy summer!

Gami

Old 01-17-02, 05:48 AM
Visiting Guest
Hey Quark!
I admire your ambition!!!
Don't have any seeds or even tips to offer, our red clay in Georgia is probably unlike anything you'd find in your garden but I hope your garden works out the way you've planned it.
Pls keep us updated, okay??
All the best and have fun with them seed catalogues
mls

Old 01-17-02, 08:29 AM
Lightbulb

There's really no species I'm interested in. I'm would love to have an understanding of what it is that I do...tending to the garden. Again, your contribs will be of much use to my quest. Please, if anyone has info that might assist me in any unforeseen problems, from plagues to floods, please inform me.

Old 01-17-02, 09:35 AM
Quark,
I have recommended this book to people in the past, and I will for you as well...

The book is called The Vegetable Gardeners Bible. The ISBN number is 1-58017-212-1. The book is a FANTASTIC reference, not just for veggies, but for soil preparation, tips and tricks, and growing certain herbs as well. Because of the tips in this book (and of course the advice here and at sierra), I was able to get some of my best results ever, including getting cucumbers and eggplants to produce fruit well into October and early November, which is unheard of in Rhode Island. If you are serious about making your first garden a good one, I would strongly suggest you visit your local bookstore to see if they have this book as well as any other ones you can get your hands on. Good luck, and let us know over the course of the summer how things are going!

Eric