Tidying up

Old 09-03-01, 03:54 AM
Visiting Guest
I have a galvanized door that was painted and the paint is peeling and chipping. I have put metal primer and metal oil base paint on the door but the next year the same thing happens again!!!! Is there anything I can use to make the paint stick to this surface? I heard that cleaning the door with vinagar prior to painting will stop this peeling does anyone know of this? This is an exterior storm door.

Old 01-12-02, 12:30 AM
Visiting Guest
Question Tidying up

My garden after the recent frosts looks a mess and I would like to cut back everything that looks dead,will this be ok?

Old 01-12-02, 11:52 AM
T
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tidying up the winter garden

Our technical difficulties a while back are still giving us some forum surprises. Galvanized metal is usually treated with a vegetable oil to protect it. To paint it requires removal of the oil with a solvent, wire brushing away then sanding any white or red rust, and washing with TSP. The zinc in the metal tends to react with oil based paints, causing them to peel off. Typically, a corrosion resistant acrylic latex primer is applied then exterior latex or acrylic latex paint applied. Different paint manufacturers have different recommendations. Read and follow manufacturer's recommendations carefully re: surface prep, primer, drying times, etc.

Winter garden chores can get you out of the house so you don't get cabin fever. Ornamental grasses can be cut back. Perennials that look ragged can be cut nearly to the ground. Dead wood and crossing branches can be removed from trees. Twiggy branches and the parts that contain the seed pods on the crepe myrtles can be pruned. Perennials that are obviously dead can be cut back.

Sort through garden catalogs and discard the out of date ones and order new ones. Organize your gardening library. Start planning your spring gardens.

Clean the bird feeders and scrub out the bird bath. Inspect all the gardening tools, sharpen edges, oil, discard if no longer safe or useful. Take the lawn mower to the shop for servicing. Clean all the gardening equipment and check for oil leaks and need for repairs and take in for service. Tighten up all the loose screws and bolts on everything, including the garden furniture.

Fluff your mulch with a garden rake to make sure it's not packed down and moisture can get to the roots of plants. Inspect trellisses and fences and make repairs. Sort through garden chemicals and make sure all are still effective. Check with local authorities regarding proper disposal of chemicals.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: