Measuring for grass height

Old 09-03-01, 06:19 AM
Visiting Guest
Indoor (Condo) Air Handler/Furnance unit dripping water from what appears to the coils (not sure if that is what it is called). The coils are slanted and there is a black angled piece of pastic that appears to collect the water going to the drain line and that appears to work because there is water dripping from the line outside. However, water continuously drips from the coil. The insulation has been sagurated and we continue to soak up water. I've thought about cleaning the coils but not sure if that is an option or if that is even the problem. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated before I have to fork over some big dollars:-) Thanks!!

Old 01-22-02, 12:25 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Measuring for grass height

I tried to find this question since I was sure it had to have been asked before. I have read in many places how tall your grass should be but no where as to how to measure. I can't imaging you would take a ruler in your yard and measure the grass. For instance, if my year is supposed to be cut at 3" how can I set my mower for this? Do I measure the blade height on a flat surface? The deck height? What?

TIA!

Old 01-23-02, 05:50 AM
standifg,
Your guess is correct. You need to measure while the mower is on a level garage floor or similar flat surface. If you have a lawn tractor, you need to measure all four blade ends from floor to blade. This wiill ensure that the deck is level.
fred

Old 01-26-02, 06:16 PM
J
I measured 3" on my blade (from garage floor to blade) and it "shaved" my lawn or at least one pass. My lawn is recommended to be mown from 1 1/2 - 2 1/2". I still don't know where to measure

Old 01-26-02, 06:39 PM
Is your yard flat and level? If your mower is set up as Fred suggests, you shouldn't be scalping your turf at a 3" cut unless it is on the crest of a hill and you are straddling the crest between the wheels of the mower or it is very uneven in spots.

The other thing that I am wondering is how much you are cutting (how high is the grass when you start to cut it). For instance, if it is 8" when you begin, and you set your mower to 3", the turf will appear shaved or laying down and probably a bit yellow. Generally, it's best to take no more than 1/3 of the length (height) of the blade of grass with each cut (2" cut for a 6" lawn, bringing the finished height to 4"). If you want to lower the height of the lawn more than that, wait a day, lower the blade height a bit and re-cut. Continue the rest/cut until the desired height is achieved.

Maybe Fred (or others) have some other ideas why your machine is scalping your lawn...

Btw - are you measuring from the garage floor to the cutting edge of the blade & checking both edges for height?

Howie

Old 01-26-02, 06:56 PM
jmartin104,
You are measuring correctly, but like Howie mentioned, you need to measure both blade ends(all four if you have two blades). And the deck must be parallel to the ground.

Here's another consideration: if it's a rider, make sure the tires are not underinflated. If it's a walk-behind, just raise the wheels a notch or two until you are cutting at the desired height.
fred

Old 01-26-02, 06:58 PM
J
Yes, measuring both edges. My mower has 5 settings from low to high. On the measurement of 2 1/2" my mower is one setting away from the lowest. Even on the lowest setting, it measures 2" from the floor to blade. At this setting the mower won't even go through the grass. The next setting up is what I tried that scalped or nearly scalped the lawn. Cutting on a flat surface. I normally use the mid setting but I am concerned about weeds and the health of my lawn - too short and weeds take over, too long and ... Maybe I should just stay with this setting.

Old 01-26-02, 07:35 PM
jmartin104,
Everything sounds about right. Remember, the adjustment scale on your mower is only a reference point, they are rarely exact.
It sounds as though the middle setting is what you need. Occasionally, when the grass gets too high, you just need to adjust your blade to a higher setting. I'm a golf junkie so I like my lawn cut really low, just like a course. It may not be the best in hotter weather, but out in the boonies where I live nobody cares.
fred

Old 01-26-02, 07:47 PM
J
Thanks All! Your help is greatly appreciated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: