tomato supports

Old 01-26-02, 11:41 AM
Visiting Guest
Question tomato supports

I have made some tomato supports out of concrete re-inforcement wire and am now wondering if there could be anything in the metal that could contaminate the soil(or me). I tried the commercial cone- shaped supports made of galvanized steel but they will not stand up in a strong wind. My home-made supports are round and very strong although they are evidently not treated(a plus?) since the wire was already rusted when I bought it. Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-02, 02:11 PM
Trent Bridley
Visiting Guest
tomato stakes

Hi,
Here in Northern Ky. a lot of us use 1/2-5/8 in re bar cut to about 5-6 ft lengths. These stakes are driven in the ground about
2-3 ft. after the tomatos have been plantedand are up around 6 in. or better and are spaced out about every 2- plants. After the plants are up to 1ft. a string, (best is an electricians wire pulling string, it doesn't rot or stretch much) is woven between the stakes. When the plants grow more another string is woven through the stakes. Usually 3 or 4 runs of line will get you through. These stakes will rust but last, just use gloves. Also they are pretty sturdy. I have used concrete mesh and it works well, providing it is well staked, but after a few years the mesh starts to break up.
hope this helps you out