Help with tulips

Old 03-18-02, 11:24 AM
Rusty Can
Visiting Guest
Question Help with tulips

I have fifty tulips planted around my lawn, all are seperated by about 12 inches of river rock, each one is drip irrigated and all are about 5-8 inches high ... some are beginning to bloom! Is there a way to increase the height of each of the stems?? This was my first year with tulips ... any suggestions?? Oh, by the way, I live in zone 10 (San Diego, CA) ...

Old 03-18-02, 01:53 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hello Rusty Can

Sounds like you've gone to a LOT of trouble for those little babies!

I don't think there is a lot you can do other than possibly select another variety of tulip for next spring. Generally speaking, the early varieties are the shortest and the late ones are the taller...

Enjoy your show - you've earned it!

Howie

Old 03-18-02, 04:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Again Rusty Can

Planting time should not have any effect on the height of tulips, nor should planting depth. I didn't want to write on the last post that I think you may be putting out a LOT of effort for a relatively short lived flower, but since you asked (in your PM), you should be aware (if you don't already know) that tulips will generally give a good flower for a couple seasons, tops, then slowly fade away. I think you should plan on replacing the bulbs with new ones at least every other year (if not yearly) for the best show.

Others might have differing opinions on this, and I'd welcome their comments on the longevity of tulips, this has just been my personal experience with them...

Next fall, just select a taller variety (the flowering time and height should be posted where you buy the bulbs), plant at the proper depth, give them a bit of TLC and enjoy when they come up. If you want to leave the ones you have, that would be okay - just put a small marker where they are so when the foliage dies back, you'll be able to find the spots. By selecting a later blooming bulb to plant with the ones already there, you'll extend the overall bloom time as well as getting the height you're looking for

Good Luck with your gardening

Howie

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: