Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Good Underused Shrubs/Trees in the Landscape

Old 03-17-02, 10:53 AM
Mdguy
Visiting Guest

I've always liked to plant something different around the yard-stuff that most people do not have. It seems like most retail outlets and landscaping firms pick from a select list of stock and hence, most communties look bland in the 'sameness' of their plantings. It seems like taking chances and/or creativity is dying.
Anybody have some uncommon shrubs and/or trees (and their varieties) that they have in their landscape that they are extremely happy with?

One item I don't see enough around here is witch hazel, which the later varieties are in bloon now
-Serviceberry (Amelanchier) is another is like

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-02, 09:20 AM
florajo
Visiting Guest
Hi Mdguy ~

I share your sentiments about using the same ol' shrubs in all landscaping. It does get boring, doesn't it? I don't know if it's the same thing as "witch hazel", but I have some "lorapetalum" shrubs that are absolutely gorgeous. I planted them several years ago and when they bloomed, all the neighbors would stop and ask what type of plants they were. Now, of course, many yards on our street are sporting these beautiful bushes!

The blooms are hot pink, kind of fringe-looking and the foliage stays green all winter. Actually, in the fall, it turns a vivid shade of burgundy.

I'd highly recommend these to anyone who is looking for something different.....and very striking.......in their landscape!