camellias

Old 03-22-02, 02:52 PM
zone7
Visiting Guest
camellias

hello, i have recently become interested in camellias. i have alot of pines and azaleas, hydrangeas. i have been reading that some camellias will bloom in the fall. i have so many dogwoods and azaleas , that im really looking for fall bloomers. i was wondering if anyone could suggest some websites or nurseries like wayside gardens. i really appreciate the links i get here, they kinda keep me from wandering the net aimlessly. i should have put this in my screen name, but zone 7 refers to zone7b. thanks alot. -z.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-02, 08:00 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Zone 7,

Here are some camellias that bloom in the fall. Knowing the names may help you find them at your local nursery or favorite nursery on the Net.

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Newintro/camelli1.html

Gami

Old 03-23-02, 11:44 AM
zone7
Visiting Guest
thank you, i saw a camellia that was probably 20 ft tall outside an old hotel in north ga. it had so many blooms on it, they were falling to the ground. it was beautiful. from what i've read so far- i'd say it had formal double blooms. very pretty. i have to clear out the space i want to put them.(i thought, why not get enough to bloom all but summer)so, i probably wont plant them untill fall. i want to learn as much as possible before i plant. right now, i am ?repairing? a small bank that eroded onto my porch.that was alot of digging! i had asked about crown vetch once , and didnt plant anything-now i have no choice. i got low growing evergreens. i think my dogs may use the steps on these. i think i will put a cage around the camellia when i plant it just in case. i am rambling, but thank you again!