Zuchini Squash Pie

Old 03-22-02, 05:03 PM
jj78629
Visiting Guest
Zuchini Squash Pie

Hey folks, here's something you can do with your over grown zuchini squash. It's a pie, that taste's better than any apple or pear pie you can make or buy. Just let your squash over grow into almost a gord. You can cook it up and frezze it and just take it out , thaw, and make. Besure to warm it before eating and put some ice cream on top. Man is it good!!!!

Squash Pie

4 cups sliced zucchini, cooked until tender crisp. { remove seeds}
2 tlbs. lemon juice
Dash of salt
Mix in a bowl:
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
Dash of nutmeg
3 tbls. flour
Add zuchini and mix well. It will look runny, but that's ok.
Dump filling into 9 in. pie crust, and dot with butter.
Add the top crust and bake at 400 degree's for 40 minutes
or until brown.
Be sure the squash is peeled and cored, completely before
slicing thin slices.
Large, over grown, mature zucchini are best for this.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-02, 07:55 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi jj78629,

Man! That does sound delicious! Thanks for the recipe. It's great to have other ways to fix zucchini. I alwas shred some and freeze it for zucchini bread. I've sliced some thinly and froze it to add to soups, but I never cook it first.

You slice it, cook it and then freeze it for this pie?

Gami

Old 03-24-02, 06:15 AM
jj78629
Visiting Guest
Yes, I slice it into thin slices, add just alittle water to cook it until tender, and put it into a quart freezer bag, and freeze. I'll use it even after a year. It taste's just as good. You might have to pour alittle of the water off, before you mix up the ingredients, as it turn's real watery after it thaws. Save what you pour off, you may need it , might not. Squash will be a golden -yello color.
This pie is really good!! Nobody would ever think it's squash. I think it's the nutmeg and cinimon you taste. Give it a try, and tell me what you think. Good luck. Jay

Old 03-24-02, 12:35 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Jay,

I'm definitely going to try it and will let you know. You really made it sound good.

Do you have problems with the squash vine borer? I usually just plant more than I think I'll need and hope for the best, but they usually succumb before long. Hopefully this year, I'll pay closer attention.

Gami

Old 03-24-02, 03:42 PM
jj78629
Visiting Guest
Yes I do, but by the time they kill them, I've picked enough. I also get mosaic virus. I guess that's what you call it. The leaves of the squash gets yellow, and the yellow squash get's green stripes in it. I just eat it anyway. Gardening is just a fight between the bug's and nature, but I still love doing it. I'm getting lazyer though. Jay