To Gami about Roses

Old 03-22-02, 07:27 PM
jlob66
Visiting Guest
To Gami about Roses

Thanks for the advice and information; I suspect I'm a water miser with new plants (tough love, I guess; learn to live with what life has to offer. Good for kids, bad for roses.) Established roses I wash with soapy water every evening to keep the aphids down, so I guess I water them enough accidently.
Do roses like to be planted in late summer, early fall, so they can go to sleep after all the stress?
Some-ome else told me that you must never plant a bush until a week after the last blossom has died (I alway buy plants with blossom, because I don't trust the labels.)

Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-02, 09:31 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi jlob66,

You're welcome.

First off, whenever I set new plants in the ground, I water them every day until I'm sure their roots are established.

The BEST time to plant roses is while they are still dormant. I don't know what zone you are in, but next season pay attention to when roses go on sale at nurseries, etc. They start selling them while it's possible to still have freezes and frosts in your area. If you wait until warmer weather, you're taking a chance with your roses. It's no different than if you try to transplant roses already established. It's very possible that you can keep them alive, but you MUST pay attention to their water needs.

If you buy established plants, try and not to disturb the soil around the roots. You'll have a better rate of success that way.

Gami

Last edited by Gami; 03-23-02 at 07:47 AM.