A Pond For My Dogs

Old 03-25-02, 07:28 AM
AmyMcKay
Visiting Guest
A Pond For My Dogs

Can I make a preformed pond dog proof? I have Labs and I'd love to have a water feature they at least wade in during the hot Mississippi summers. If I were able to protect the pump from their feet and willing to do extra cleaning duties, could it work?

Old 03-25-02, 10:06 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hello AmyMcKay

I'm reading into your post that you already have the pond, so you want some way to protect the submersible pump from your four legged friends... How deep is the pond?

If I'm wrong, and you are starting to think about building a pond, there are kits and systems that have the pump and filtration systems outside the pond - I built a pond and stream for my back yard last year that's ~2' deep at the deepest and 11'x16'. I used the EPDM rubber liner and covered everything with rocks and gravel - works great so far except for some string algae. My 60 lb pup doesn't live in the pond, but she does go in every now and then and other than displacing some of the rocks and gravel, the liner holds up to her weight and there are no signs of damage. The pump is in a skimmer/receiver unit at one end of the pond (outside the main pond area and covered with an aritficial 'rock') and the inlet for the water to the pond is at the top of the stream/water falls at the other end. No parts other than the gravel for the dogs to get caught in or mess up. The system I'm using is the Aquascape system, but there are a few others out there with similar features

Let us know your situation (is it in the ground already?) I'm sure someone will try to help if you you've already built, email or PM if you need more info on Aquascape.

Howie

Old 03-25-02, 11:17 AM
AmyMcKay
Visiting Guest
Thanks Howie

I haven't built the pond yet. I didn't realize the workings of the pond could be placed outside of the water so I think that could work.

Old 03-25-02, 10:57 PM
Hi again Amy

Here's a link to Aquascape:

http://www.aquascapedesigns.com/

Click on the Resources tab, then the On Line Manuals to get an idea how the system works. (The Installation Guide has a good schematic of the system on it's first page - you'll need Adobe Acrobat, but there is a link there for that also)

Like I said before, there are a number of similar systems out there, but this is the one I own, so am most familiar with.

You can get a company to build for you or you can do it yourself...(fancy that... this IS the right board for that, isn't it )

Good Luck and have fun when you decide to build!

Howie

Last edited by howiek; 03-26-02 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-27-02, 05:14 AM
howiek, do Labs not dig? I know that if we built a pond that our Golden could get into there would probably be a hole through the EPDM in no time! She gets in and starts "digging" ... and digging ... and digging... Of course this was in a kiddie pool, maybe a deeper pond would be different. Within a short time most of the water was on the outside of the pool. I shudder to think what she would do to rubber (even under stones, I'm sure she'd look on it as a challenge )

Old 03-27-02, 09:13 AM
Hi Cindy

You may be right about labs - Blue is part lab, part hound, part border collie and part who-knows-what and she loves to dig, but so far, she hasn't done anything in the pond. The rock sizes range from 16" down to pea gravel, the majority being 4"-6" river rock with peagravel filling the voids. She walks across the steam area (only 3"-4" deep), drinks out of where-ever, chases the goldfish and tadpoles, sometimes will fish out a 4" rock and play with it, but hasn't tried the digging thing.

She will excavate pits in the gardens or even in the middle of the lawn (but only when there's a bare patch that seems to give her the idea to dig) if we aren't watching, so we do have to keep an eye on her.

The EPDM is 45 mil thick, and will take a lot of abuse, and with 3" or so of gravel over top, one can only hope there won't be a problem... Just something else to consider, I guess. (the gravel and rocks also help shield the rubber from UV form the sunlight)

Amy, if you get worried by diylady's post, you could probably email Aquascape (or the manufacturer you decide to go with) and they would give you their opinion on the diggity dog scenario

One other thing - I subscribe to the school of thought that dogs (pets, not working dogs) are just big kids; so like small children, they shouldn't be left unsupervised if there is anything they can get into that you don't want them in to... strictly a personal view, mind you

Howie

Last edited by howiek; 03-27-02 at 10:36 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: