Gardening in WV

Old 03-26-02, 11:42 AM
jennwatson
Visiting Guest
Gardening in WV

All,

In July, I will be relocating to West Virginia from another state. My house has a small front yard and a very long, fairly wide backyard. Can anyone give me some ideas of what I can do in the last six months of the year to prep the yard for flowers and shrubs, what plants/flowers thrive in the WV climate and when they should go in the ground? My investment in the yard will be minimal to moderate - as the house needs some work too!

Big question, I know! That's why your help will be all the more appreciated!

Thanks,
Jenn

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-02, 06:44 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Jenn,

Here's a start. I did a search with Google. I hope this works, but it should show you a lot of websites that have info for gardening in WV.

http://www.google.com/search?num=100...+west+virginia

You will want to pay particular attention to amending your soil before you plant anything. It may be a good idea to have your soil tested. Your county extension agent can help you with that.

Gami

Old 04-01-02, 07:04 AM
Jenn,
After you get there, you can start visiting the local nurseries to see what type of plants they offer for that area. Come september, it will be time to plant some spring bulbs; tulips, hyacinths, et all. You'll have a couple months to get ready.

Now for the ever-present comedian in me. You might want to invest in golf shoes for any hand mowing - it helps in aeration and will keep you from slipping off the hill. Actually this is a good safety suggestion!
And when you're looking for shrubs/plants keep an eye out for those noted for shade tolerance. You may only see sun from 10 am till about 3 pm.
Best of luck in the relocation,
fred