landscape design software

Old 03-27-02, 04:38 AM
Kathy D
Visiting Guest
Question landscape design software

Would anyone care to recommend software for landscape design? Thought I might try this before hiring a professional. Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Kathy

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-02, 04:44 AM
Kathy D
Visiting Guest
After I posted, I found a few posts on this subject. However, if anyone else would share info, I would appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Old 04-03-02, 05:56 AM
errolv
Visiting Guest
I bought programs from Sierra Home that I'm happy with. Both "Custom Home" and "Land Designer". There are a few more I looked at, but (I forget) maybe it was the price or something. However, I really like the features on both. Land Designer comes in three levels ($, $$, and $$$). I have the middle level. The program brings you through a step by step process from lot size to laying out sprinklers. A full encyclopedia of plants helps you pick your flowers & shrubs. You work by drag & drop - pick an item from a selection bar, then place it where you want it. Then adjust the specifications. You can see your project in 3D even as you're working on it.

Old 04-03-02, 06:09 AM
Bomber...

RU going to tell them about http://Community.Sierra.com or should we wait for Gami?

Howie

Old 04-03-02, 06:14 AM
errolv
Visiting Guest
I saw the other thread about Sierra, but I haven't been there, even though I use theri software (!). Let Gami proseletize!

Old 04-03-02, 06:24 AM
Howie,
I think the sierra thread with its 200+ hits speaks for itself Thanks for the mention though

Eric

Old 04-03-02, 07:11 AM
Another good place to check is www.programfiles.com

They have a couple of good pieces of software for garden design

Old 04-03-02, 08:08 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Errolv,

Sure glad I have a dictionary by the computer! Why are you dragging your feet?

~~~~~~~~~

Didn't Sierra quit publishing their garden software? I couldn't find any reference to it on their site. I thought when they got rid of the garden encyclopedia, they did the software in also as it wasn't profitable???

Anyway, I bought Sierra's Complete Landdesigner at Sam's a couple of years ago with a $20 rebate. So you might check out Sam's or Costco too.

Gami

Old 04-03-02, 09:27 AM
errolv
Visiting Guest
If you find one, buy it

I did some checking. Seems it's still offerd at some online software sites, and you could find Land Designer in a local store. But the Sierra Garden moderator pointed out that sometime this year (2002) Sierra stopped distributing it.

I can't compare it to other design programs, but I am happy (for the most part) with what it does.