Ground Hog Advice Wanted

Old 03-28-02, 08:36 AM
northgardengal
Visiting Guest
Angry Ground Hog Advice Wanted

I think we will be at war soon with ground hogs since I just spotted a very healthy looking one too near the vegetable garden. A few friends were adamant about my having a .22 ready for them if they get any closer, and I think they were serious!

I would love to know what other tactics work! There has to be another way. Right?

North Garden Gal

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-02, 09:50 AM
You could always make him a figurehead like Puncsataune (sp?) Bill or Wiarton Willie - that way we would all hate him when he's wrong and nobody would have a problem when you 'off'd him' (LOL)

Maybe others have more costructive suggestions (I hope)

Howie

Old 03-28-02, 12:43 PM
CORPCEO
Visiting Guest
put some lawn gnomes with the faces of bill clinton next to its burrowing hole. He'll be too scared to come out and eventually starve to death

...or...

Put toxic chemicals all over your plants. But then you couldn't eat them...at least you'd get the ground hog

Old 03-28-02, 12:44 PM
Hi Elizabeth,
Hey, I'll trade you eight, nine, or even ten deer for that one ground hog!!!
Too bad our dear old "Boone"(130lb choc lab) passed away last fall. You know how felines can leave little presents at your font door. We'll, Boone had been known to bring back full grown G-hogs.
Maybe you can discourage your critter. I'd find and plug his hole with the biggest boulder I could handle. Or try using a Byron suggestion - spray the vegetation with a chile pepper concoction.
good luck,
fred

Old 03-29-02, 07:23 AM
northgardengal
Visiting Guest
Hi Fred,

Sorry to hear about Boone - are all labs inclined the way Boone was or was he just a-one-in-a-million kinda dog? We have a German Shephard who will bark her head off at anything and everything, but I doubt she would "deliver" any trophies! I think Puxatauny Phil knows that, too!

We have boulders and I think I know where "Phil's" front door is - He'll probably "remodel" and put in a new door, but we got more boulders.....

We can play this game all summer long if need be!

Thanks for your serious input - the comical responses were cool, but this very serious business, afterall

Have a great weekend, Fred!

North Garden Gal

Old 03-29-02, 01:08 PM
Thanks Elizabeth, (my daughter's name by the way)

Boonie was special. He knew he couldn't catch the deer, tried to climb trees chasing squirrels, and at his weight, he was king of the neighborhood. Glad we're out in he sticks where he could roam ithout problems.
Back to the GH. The bolders might discourage him, not sure.
But, if your not within a city limit restricting the alternative, I say go ahead. Just keep it private, don't boast of your marksksmanship.
see ya,
fred

Old 03-29-02, 03:39 PM
Groundhogs= big damage

Although I am an avid hunter and had a big Ground hog problem. I don't live way out, so shooting this hog did present a problem.

After watching the pattern, of this critter for a few days I saw how and where he came and went, and what time of day.

A .22 cal rifle is very marginal on a tough ol Groundhog so you must make a real good shot. a head shot is the most effective.

Heres what I did, First I saw when to be in the right place at the right time. Next I used an iorn sight .22 that I had sighted in somewhere else to hit center of a target I pined to the ground.

I used an 8 foot step ladder for a shooting perch, so I could only shoot down, into the ground as a backstop. So I sat the ladder right next to where he came out, and when he came out just one quick shot, through the head & it was done.

I think most states do not class the Ground hog as anything but a pest, but check just to be sure.

Because I did not want to endanger anyone with a stray bullet. I did buy a Have a heart trap. I even got him inside to take the bait. This Genipig on steriods tore & chewed his way right through the galvo wire on that trap and escaped.

The Hot Pepper animal repelant for $85.00 for a half gallon, that keeps rabbits off my broccoli starts, just added spice to this guys life.

Old 03-29-02, 03:47 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Elizabeth,

I agree with Fred and Marturo. I wanted to say the same thing, but was afraid to. You already know how some people can be. Being a hunter myself, I'm constantly being asked about Bambi. It gets real old! Us gals CAN keep our mouths shut when we have to, much to the disbelief of the males! I'm also happy to hear there's another female on this forum that knows how to shoot.

I know I shouldn't "type" this, but I find it very hard to believe that NOW fisherman(women) are being harrassed. I'll stop there!

Gami

Old 03-29-02, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the help Marturo and Gami,

Maybe Elizabeth can call over to nearby Monticello (beautiful gardens) and ask the curator/manager if it's open season on groundhogs during non visitor hours. Bet it is!.

fred

Old 03-31-02, 11:35 AM
try this site for info

Here's a site that has info on moles and getting rid of them.
http://www.themoleman.com/

Old 03-31-02, 06:17 PM
northgardengal
Visiting Guest
Fred, Marturo, Gami and Bob,

Thanks a billion for the input!

Gami, thank you for your reply -- I was hesitant (extremely so ) to suggest that I might have to make use of a .22. It meant a lot to me, as well, to hear from a woman on what often turns into a very embroiling subject. We are out in the sticks, in the middle of a 2,000 acre farm, so there won't be restrictions.

The hot pepper treatment may be the first step, since that will deter several other "munchers", too.

I will let you all know what becomes of "Phil" -- one way or another he will not be a regular at MY salad bar!!!!

Stay tuned for the next installment....

Elizabeth

Old 03-31-02, 09:10 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Elizabeth,

I read through your words, and I know you didn't want to say what you did. That's such a touchy subject. Boy, I know! Good luck with putting salads on the table!

Gami

Old 04-01-02, 06:40 AM
Did you see what I posted over on Sierra - Scarecrow Sprinkler.
It's been mentioned before, but I just saw it in the Cabela's catalog the other day.
And your "Gamilink" is:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...d=&parentType=

fred

Old 04-01-02, 06:55 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Fred,

I posted on Sierra that it would also be a good idea if you have neighborhood kids with too much time on their hands and think it's fun to destroy other people's property and walk away with their "treasures". Maybe a shot of water would do the trick.

Gami

Old 04-01-02, 07:24 AM
northgardengal
Visiting Guest
Scarecrow Sprinkler! Now that appeals to my sense of wildlife preservation! And my sense of humor! With my luck, though, they would probably return WITH their swimsuits and beach towels.

I'm glad we don't have those kinds of kids around here, Gami! That was just one reason we looked for a place so far from the "world".

Elizabeth

Old 04-02-02, 05:38 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Elizabeth,

I'm glad you don't either. We're a little secluded from the other houses and out in the open, so they're very brave.

Let us know how you fare with your groundhog! Chances are you'll have other critters showing up.

Do you have a dog or cat? We had no problem with kids or animals when we had a dog. Cats keep the little critters away.

Gami

Old 04-03-02, 01:09 PM
northgardengal
Visiting Guest
Hi Gami!

We have been scrambling to get the grass mowed and more stuff cleared out the past three days because it was supposed to rain today (it didn't). I have barely been on-line. Now it looks like we're in for more cold weather for at least the next 4 days without the rain.

To answer your question, I have a nine year old Siamese who is so well fed, he just doesn't bother hunting! This past winter, it was me who caught a mouse with my hands!!! He spends a lot of time sitting and watching.

We also have a dog, a German Shephard, and we'll see how she does. Although we know she is big sweetie-pie, people who don't know that are very stand-off-ish - we sorta like that, too.

Now if we could count on her to keep ol' chubby away..... who, BTW, we have not seen since I told you all about him!

I will let you know how we manage.

Take care,

Elizabeth

Old 04-08-02, 06:35 AM
ohgarden1
Visiting Guest
I'm so glad that Gami, the huntress, has found a hunting friend at last!! LOL!

As for the groundhogs, there is something chemical you can do, if you don't have a problem with that type of stuff. Kill the grubs, that cuts off their food supply and the groundhogs will leave. I have been racking my brain trying to remember what the chemical is, but I can't remember it. Luckily I don't have groundhogs. I just have squirrels that eat my tulips!!! Stupid little vermin!

Shele

Old 04-09-02, 04:41 AM
Groundhog control

Go to www.bugspray.com to learn more about groundhogs and their control.

Old 04-09-02, 02:23 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Liz,

I guess I missed this! You caught a mouse with your hands???!!! You're much braver than I am. Sure glad my cats are hunters. We haven't had any in the house since we got Sabrina. My older cat was getting too old to hunt.

Maybe old chubby found some tastier chomping grounds.

Gami

Old 04-10-02, 09:43 AM
northgardengal
Visiting Guest
Hi Gami!!!!

Yes, with my bare hands - I figured I was bigger than he was. He tried to make a quick getaway and slid into the sink drain...I did cringe as I grabbed him up out of there and tossed him out the back door...

"Chubby" has a cousin just over the hill - and Chubby has been out and about as of yesterday. Oh Golly, I hope those two aren't in cahoots with one another

We are thinking about that scarecrow sprinkler - seriously! I would think that with all the intelligent folks I know, we could rig a reasonable facsimile thereof....

BTW, my cat ("Casper") is starting to find the outdoors intriquing all of a sudden. I've had to "haul" him in twice this week, late at night, not realizing he'd slipped out the door earlier. I may be able to employ his feline instincts afterall. I just don't want him messing with the birds - we have tons of songbirds out here! Guess you can't have everything, though.

Elizabeth

Old 04-10-02, 10:10 AM
Wildo
Visiting Guest
Northgardengal,

Charlottesville, What a wonderful place to be living, and on 2,000 acres no less. I went to high school up in Green County and my in-laws are just over Afton Mt. in Augusta County, all Uva grads, so we get down once in a while. Believe me, this Washington DC tech weenie is trying to do anything in his power to move down your way, as is his wife. So beautiful! Good luck with your Ghog problems! Iím Sorry, I have no input.

Will

Old 04-10-02, 11:29 AM
northgardengal
Visiting Guest
Hi Will -

Glad you came on board with DIY.

Any opportunity I get to "boast" about this place, I grab it!

We not far at all outside of Charlottesville, but you'd never know it because you hear nothing but the sounds of nature here. Good old Route 29 isn't far at all and yet, rarely do we hear traffic. I hope you can find a way to move back in this direction. It's always great to have people (who appreciate the area) move in.

This is a really wonderful forum - the best, if I may boast some more - we hope you'll stick around. You'll get a lot of great advice and make great friends as I have.

Bye for now

North Garden Gal

Old 04-10-02, 04:59 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Liz,

It sounds like you may have some little chubbies running around soon! Won't that be fun!

I know what you mean about the birds. It breaks my heart when our cat places a bird on the doorstep, but you can't scold them, or they'll be confused and might not get the mice, shrews, voles and all those other varmints you don't want. The grandkids name our birds, so it makes it double tough.

Gami

Old 04-11-02, 08:23 AM
northgardengal
Visiting Guest
Hey Gami,

I read something about how best to keep the birds hanging around (relatively safely) and still allow cats their freedom to roam,as well. The suggestion is to not allow cats out early in the morning or in the early evening, as these times are the most active for birds at our feeders. Sooo, now I will let Casper out after say 9:00 a.m. or so and then make sure he's back in by 4:00 p.m. Seems fair to me!

We just have to preserve the great bird-presence we have! We have goldfinches, purple finches, eastern bluebirds, juncos, chickadees, sparrows, cardinals...on and on the list goes.

Your comment about little chubbies running around soon: ARGH! Your probably right, darn ya!

See ya!

Elizabeth

Old 04-11-02, 01:14 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Liz,

That seems fair to me too! From my birdwatching out the front window, I'd say that timing will work just fine.

I don't have a litter box inside; they're trained to go outside even in the dead of winter, although they don't like the thought much. Their food is in the garage, so they "hold it" until they're hungry. That seems fair to me too. I don't do litter boxes or male cats that spray.

I have several bird feeders, but the birds LOVE those teacup birdfeeders that I'm sure I've mentioned before. We have more birds since I set "five" of those out, and I'm constantly filling them.

We have kill deer that make their nests in the ground. You should see them when I head for their nest with the mower. I have to put a stake by them, so I won't forget where they are.

Now if cats would mind, I could call them in at those particular times. Thanks for the info!

Gami