Flat Garden Hoses

Old 03-28-02, 08:21 PM
Sadie598
Visiting Guest
Flat Garden Hoses

Hi, Does anyone know where I can buy the flat garden hoses (not soaker hose). They are like what the fire department uses, but on a much smaller scale.

I have seen them advertised on tv, but I do not think they are big enough diameter for my gardening/outdoor chores.

I am so tired of fighting my garden hoses, the getting tangled on anything that might be in their path. I have lots and lots of obstacles to go around in my yard and in my corrals, and would sure like a more user-friendly hose.
Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-02, 01:10 PM
Rusty Can
Visiting Guest

I would also be interested ... does anyone know where we could find these??

Rusty Can ...

Old 03-29-02, 04:11 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Here's one supplier -

Gilmour Manufacturing, P.O. Box 838, Somerset, PA 15501.

http://popularmechanics.com/home_imp.../garden_hoses/

A comment from this site -

Flat hoses are designed to neatly wind into their onw reel, making them easy to sture. However, most can only be used when the whole reel has been unwound, some kink easily if not laid out a straight line, and it can be difficult to rewind them onto their reel unless all the water is drained out first.

http://www.gardenersworld.beeb.com/n...p.beeb.gw.home

Flexihose, 25' = $19.95

http://www.greatbuyusa.com/product_d...35W-B&Source=1

Gami

Old 03-29-02, 06:17 PM
I have seen them and sorta just passed on 'em.
They are a thinner plastic as opposed to a reinforced rubber.
I can picture letting it lay out in the sun with the water 'on' and very easily developing a large bubble waiting to explode.
I'd be cautious.
fred

Old 03-31-02, 07:48 PM
Sadie598
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info. I don't think I want to take that kind of chance of having it explode with the water turned on. I think I will just see if I can buy a hose that is maybe a little more flexible and not quite as heavy as the one I am currently using. Last week when I was pulling and tugging and it was frozen which I didn't know until I had it all strung out and turned the water on, I twisted a rib. YEEHAW!!!! That hurts!!! So, I am looking for alternatives.

Old 03-31-02, 09:04 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
HI Sadie,

I sincerely hope your ribs are better by now! Ouch! I love those flexible hoses. From what I read, I wouldn't invest in the flat hoses either.

Gami

Old 04-02-02, 07:35 PM
Sadie598
Visiting Guest
Flexible Hoses ???

Hi,
Yes, ribs are better now. Anyway, when you say "flexible", do you mean the kind that won't kink? And, is there a certain kind that is better than another?
Thanks for any info.

Old 04-03-02, 08:14 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Sadie,

Yes, the unkinkable kind. I buy the most expensive hose. Some things you just shouldn't scrimp on. They'll last for years, so it's a good investment. I usually leave one set outside all winter so that on warm days I can clean the birdbath, etc. It's lasted for 5 years.

Gami

Old 04-03-02, 08:28 AM
Speaking of flat hoses....

There is a (new) infomercial on for a flat hose. Saw it for the first time last night. They cut the highlights of my beloved Celtics on ESPNEWS to show the commercial Anyway, thought I'd pass this on as it is pertinent to the thread. I cant remember the name of it, but the next time I see it, I'll post it

Eric

Old 04-10-02, 06:42 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
I stumbled across this surplus store online. Flat hoses are really cheap. The site looks interesting, but I haven't taken the time to explore anything else yet.

http://www.sciplus.com/category.cfm?...=6&category=71

Gami

Old 04-10-02, 07:21 AM
Sadie598
Visiting Guest
Thanks Gami - At these prices I am ordering two. Will post on here how they perform. Probably wasting my money, but who knows. We shall see.

Old 04-10-02, 07:29 AM
Hey gang...

Came across this in my travels:

http://www.vg.com/department.asp?Dep...Category=15767

Eric

PS prolly one of them "copy-n-paste" links

Old 04-10-02, 08:25 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
You're welcome, Sadie. Let us know how you like them.

Thanks Eric. That reminds me, has anyone tried those coil hoses? They were selling them at the Garden Shows, but I "needed" some other things worse.

BTW, those pineapple hose guards in there for $29.95 ea.--I got 11 for $30 the last day of the show. The guy was really dealing, but I didn't know how much. Turned out to be a heck of a deal! I think he was selling them for $10 ea.

Gami

Old 04-10-02, 11:18 AM
Hi Everyone

Gami - I looked closely at those coil hoses at our local Home & Garden Show and they look like they'd be fine except they are only 3/8" inside diameter - can't push much water thru that if you want quick fills or your sprinkler to have a good range. (They appear to be made from vinyl or plastic, so not sure how long they'd last outdoors)

Sadie, I'm with Gami - buy the best you can afford - the really good ones last a long time and will remain flexible even in extreme cold. A lot of the 'kink-free' ones have a rib inside that makes them difficult to repair (and they kink, anyways ) I still try to get the reinforced rubber ones 5/8" inside diameter when I can afford them. Tried some flat ones at work (Parks & Rec) - they were a rubberized fabric and lasted all of a week (and they were quite expensive!)

One thing I've found is hose guides that you put at corners and the edges of your beds. They are a little wheel on edge with a spike to stick them in the ground and are pretty inexpensive. And they do help keep your hose from kinking, getting caught and destroying your flowers.

Howie

Old 04-10-02, 04:53 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Thanks Howie,

I was kinda thinkin' the same thing. With all the plants on the back porch right now, I was tempted to buy it and attach it to the faucet. It would be ideal for anyone with an attached solarium or something of that nature.

Gami