thorny mat?

Old 04-01-02, 11:36 AM
zone7
Visiting Guest
thorny mat?

hello, i just wanted to ask if anyone has any suggestions as to a low growing groundcover that is prickly or thorny for a full sun bank . something dogs wouldnt want to dig around that will keep them from moving the bank to the sidewalk and prevent erosion. i have been looking into evergreens and things today, and i thought i would ask. thank you.

Old 04-01-02, 12:35 PM
northgardengal
Visiting Guest
Hi Fellow "Zone Sevenite".

Blue Rug Juniper came to mind and I found this "Gamilink"

http://www.themastergardenershow.com...ug_juniper.htm

It's certainly low-growing and prickly!! I don't how quickly it fills out, but that's a start for you.

If something else should come to mind, I will let you know. Meanwhile, there are true experts here on this forum who will no doubt have even better ideas!

North Garden Gal

Old 04-01-02, 01:20 PM
florajo
Visiting Guest
That's a great suggestion, northgardengal! Just what I was thinking! I have several beds of the Blue Rug juniper and it IS prickly! It grows relatively slow, and likes to be well-drained. It makes a great, thick ground cover though, and I love the fact that it's "evergreen"!

Old 04-01-02, 01:56 PM
Rusty Can
Visiting Guest
I agree with both Florajo and Northgardengal ... it's a great choice, but my experience (I have three of these little pricklies) they are quite slow growers. How big is your area?? Could you plant several of these?? Are they your dogs?? Inquiring minds want to know ...

Old 04-01-02, 05:24 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Great suggestion Northgardengal!

I wonder though if dogs wouldn't be deterred from their little bulldozing operations by most thick groundcovers? (after they are established, naturally... )

Cotoneaster and a lot of the creeping perennials such as Aubrieta, snow in the summer, perennial alussum, etc come to mind immediately.

One other thing to keep in mind - especially if you are going to use shrubs like cotoneaster or the junipers - be sure to kill all the weeds in the bed before you plant - they can be almost impossible to control after they start growing thru the groundcover

Just a bit more to consider...

Howie

Old 04-02-02, 07:43 AM
zone7
Visiting Guest
i did pick up a blue star juniper. i think the bank goes about 20-25 ft. at its highest it is 5 ft high. all of the weeds are gone i know, i had to shovel alot of the bank back. i 'stirred' it all up pretty good and covered it with mulch. i put up barriers like you see on the highways with plastic,etc. the dogs are mine. one is a retriever/chow puppy and one is an adult male great pyrenees. i was thinking of something i saw called a 'crimson pygmy barberry' , also. the dogs cannot comfortably go over the barrier i've put up , so i think slow growers will be ok, but on the ends of the bank it is not so high- or so eroded. i wish there was such a thing as a creeping holly! i will keep looking and checking in. i appreciate all the responses and i will keep checking in. thank you!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: