freeze and thaw

Old 03-31-02, 08:54 PM
zone7
Visiting Guest
freeze and thaw

hello, i have been noticing that my dogwoods arent blooming well at all. i have new growth killed on my hydrangeas, and the one pink dogwood i have appears to look white. the blooms are very sickly and small. some of the tulips i planted tried to come up too early before the temp's dropped again. i was wondering if i should or even can do anything. or maybe to hear from people who are experiencing the same thing. the last frost date here is supposed to be april 15th, so im waiting till then to plant anything. but , im wondering also if maybe this will keep my hydrangeas from blooming. or if my dogwoods will 'rebloom?' as it gets warmer. thank you for your time.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-02, 09:01 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Zone 7,

Speaking from experience, there's nothing you can do about Mother Nautre. She sneaks in those cold temps when everything starts budding out, and we all just have to wait and see what damage is caused. MOST of the time, everything survives.

Gami

Old 04-01-02, 10:50 AM
zone7
Visiting Guest
thank you. i was thinking about the tulips that came up too early. they were parrot tulips. but i had also planted some 'negrita' triumph tulips. they seem to be ok. this makes me wonder if maybe parrot tulips are less hardy, or maybe i should have chosen mid-late season bloomers. maybe if they come up a little later , they wont get bit. when i got here, there were some tulips, but they came up really late. i was actually suprised to see them and was spending my first spring in my new house. i wondered why the previous owners hadnt planted any earlier blooming bulbs-and i guess this could be why. all of my azaleas and rhododendrons had to be cut back last summer to paint the house. so i was really looking forward to the dogwoods, seeing them at night and all. and the 'negrita' i had planted under the pink dogwood. i was looking forward to that. oh well. thank you for replying . -z

Old 04-02-02, 05:29 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Zone 7,

I know it's not fun to lose plants, but the only thing you can do is cover everything up on those cold nights with old quilts or something of that nature. For most of us, there aren't enough "old" quilts around, so we just take our chances.

If you have plants that aren't particularly hardy for your zone, in the fall (after a hard freeze) you can apply extra mulch to those plants and remove it once the ground has warmed up in the spring.

Gami