Question for the ages ...

Old 04-02-02, 11:44 AM
Rusty Can
Visiting Guest
Question for the ages ...

Okay, here goes ...

As some of you know, I have 50 tulips around my lawn that just about all have bloomed (not bad, considering it was my first time with these guys!) ... as the blooms fade away, how long do I have to wait until I can dig them up??

Is it absolutely necessary to wait until the all of the follage has dried up??

And how should I store them for the fall?? I have read on other posts something about storing them in peat moss ... I am thinking about one of those "Rubber Maid" containers filled with peat moss ... will that work?? Do they have to have air??

Any suggesitons for some spring/summer bloomers that are hardy in my zone? (San Diego, CA ... highs about 85 and lows into the 40's) Also, ones that won't break my wallet ... remember that there are fifty spaces with drip irrigation.

Thanks for your imput!!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-02, 12:53 PM
Hi Rusty Can,
Hey, you planted them. Why dig them up at all!.
I put mine in my perennial beds and just leave them alone, along with allium, hyacinths, and others. I will only dig them up if I plan on moving them.. .. Most will come back next year. If they are in the actual lawn, wait till the last possible moment to mow them (blade high) after they have dried brown.
fred

Old 04-02-02, 01:37 PM
Rusty Can
Visiting Guest
Thanks Fred ...

However, they are planted around the perimeter of the lawn ... in my river rock border and there really isn't room to plant around them. Any other suggestions???

Old 04-02-02, 04:58 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Rusty Can,

You can push tulips (or other bulbs) a little. Rather than waiting until they are brown, once they are all yellow, you can dig them up. A rubbermaid container would be fine, but don't put the lid on. They need to breath. IF any moisture gets in the container (with the lid on), they may mold.

The reason to wait until the leaves turn yellow is because they are processing food for next years blooms. If you dig them up when the foilage is still green--it's sad!

Gami

Old 04-03-02, 03:17 AM
Rusty Can,
Too bad you don't have more room!
Cuz once I plant tulips, daffs, and other bulbs, I don't want to have to dig down 5 - 7 inches to find them. My only problem is, not planting anything on top of them - lol. I usually plant bulbs in small groups and mark the spot with a short piece of thin bamboo rod. Then when I start running out of room for "must have" perennials, I create more beds.
later,
fred

Old 04-03-02, 07:11 AM
Rusty Can
Visiting Guest
Thanks guys ... I'll wait and then plant some new stuff!