How to ENCOURAGE moss?!?

Old 04-10-02, 07:09 PM
How to ENCOURAGE moss?!?

Hi Everyone

I just had someone ask me if I had any ideas how to encourage or propogate moss on his 'lawn'. He likes the look, feel and low maintenance. I told him that most people I know want to get RID of it, not grow it, but that moss generally likes moist, shaded areas with a lower pH. Any suggestions?

TIA

Howie

Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-02, 08:14 PM
ct. arborist
Visiting Guest
i once spoke with a woman who specialized in moss gardening and if i remember correctly she harvested it from going on 'moss walks' through the woods laid it out in a shady damp acidic type environment and i believe she "fertilized" it with a 5 to 1 ratio of water and buttermilk respectvely. thats about all i remember,much like yourself i'm more into elliminating it not propogating it.
-ron r.

Old 04-11-02, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the advice, Ron

I'll pass the info on.

Btw, I sent you a PM

Talk to you later

Howie

Old 04-12-02, 12:16 PM
slk3599
Visiting Guest
This I got from watching "Gardening by the Yard" with Paul James;

He took a patch of moss and added buttermilk, or stale beer, or both. Mixed in in a used blender. Poured the mixture over the bare ground. You have to mist it daily to keep the mixture moist. You can also use a paint brush, to paint it on walls, clay pots.

Old 04-12-02, 10:31 PM
Hmmmm...

Buttermilk, beer & water - sounds almost like the hair of the dog for the morning after...

Thanks for the recipe, Susan

So far that's 2 votes for buttermilk...

Howie

Old 04-13-02, 08:02 PM
Growing moss

Some garden centers sell Irish and Scotch moss. Collecting moss from walks in the woods is also a good source. Put moss in the blender along with 1/2 teaspoon sugar and a can of beer. You can substitute buttermilk for the beer for more sober moss. Blend just enough to break up the moss and blend the mixture. Spread over ground or rocks where you would like the moss to grow.

Old 04-15-02, 10:06 AM
Nina33
Visiting Guest
Talking

SOLUTION: Send this guy to my house. He can have all the moss he wants.

It's just about all I have in my backyard right now. Just bought the house and there's not a drop of grass back there. My backyard has lots of trees which I'm assuming will completely shade the backyard once they start filling in.