Soil Problem

Old 04-11-02, 01:03 PM
heity6
Visiting Guest
Soil Problem

I have 2 raised beds. One was already in the yard when we bought the house and the second I built after we moved in. I bought soil from a local landscape supply company for the second bed. The first year that I planted in the new bed, everything grew phenomenally. However, in the second year, tomatoes, peppers and chard just seemed to sit there and do nothing. This spring I planted chard seeds in the old and new beds at the same time. The plants in the old bed are growing at a much faster rate. I can't figure out why - I use the same amendments and fertilizers in both beds. If anything, the sunlight and heat is lower in the old bed - yet it is doing much better. Could it be PH level. Does anyone have any ideas for me?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-02, 08:24 PM
Soil problems

Soil problems can only be determined by a soil test. Contact your local Dept. of Agriculture Extension Agent or your local garden center to learn how to go about getting a soil test in your area. Even plants grown in the same bed side by side will not always thrive at the same rate. There is obviously a difference in the nutrients of the two beds. A soil test of each bed will tell you what is amiss so you can take the appropriate action.