Rosemary tips

Old 04-12-02, 10:36 AM
Rosemary tips

Hey gang,
I remember last summer Gami asking me that if I ever had any secrets for groing rosemary successfully to pass them along. Well, it seems I may have back into one this spring

I moved all of the herbs from the front window into the greenhouse, including the little 4" pot with the rosemary in it. All winter long it did absolutely nothing with a capital N. Despite infrequent watering (as I've read) to the point where the leaves almost curled, still nothing. The stems were very stalky and brown, almost like the branches of a tree.

Well, since it has been in the hot and humid conditions of the greenhouse (2 weeks), it has taken off like gangbusters. The stems have "tendered" (if I can make up a word) up and I can see new growth

So apparently, the secret to rosemary is to go against what youve read. In temperatures averaging almost 90 degrees the past two weeks, it has flourished. It reached 103 in there Wednesday and 91 yesterday. Its almost time to upsize the pot for a plant that I thought had reached its fullest potential

Hope this helps, Gami! (and everyone else)

Eric

PS. Lavender was the other one you mentioned. I'll pass anything else I figure out along

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-02, 12:32 PM
twice
Visiting Guest
help

will a tuscan blue rosemary planted outdorrs benefit from acid in the soil like other evergreens?

Old 04-12-02, 12:45 PM
Twice,
I'm not sure. I'm no herb expert. Check out this link though:

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ue+rosemary%22

(may have to copy and paste it)

It is the results of a search on google. Hope you find what you are looking for here!

Eric

Old 04-12-02, 10:26 PM
Growing rosemary

Rosemary does best in well-drained, poor to moderately fertile soil in full sun. Little or no water once established.

Old 04-13-02, 04:49 AM
northgardengal
Visiting Guest
Hiya Eric!!!

Any tips on Rosemary and Lavender are so appreciated by me, too!! In fact, I am going to our local garden center this morning and those two items are tops on my list! Keep passin' 'em tips along!

We just went nuts yesterday and tilled two small beds right off the kitchen and now I can actually have a "kitchen garden"! (this might explain why I wasn't on-line, huh!)

I thought I would ask at the garden center what variety of lavender is the best for this Zone and place one in each bed. And I know sometimes rosemary will winter over. To play it safe, though, I thought I would do as my mother did with some of her favorite "iffy" perennials - plant each in a plastic bag (with drainage holes cut out) and put the whole works in the ground. Then when the weather turns chilly in the Fall, pull those plants, bags and all, out of the ground and pot them up.

Have a great weekend, "yawl"

Elizabeth

Old 04-13-02, 06:40 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Eric,

Thanks for remembering! It's great to have "young" minds around.

That makes sense since I see them on garden shows all the time growing almost as large as shrubs in the southern states. I must admit, I'm pretty envious.

Gami