Shady flowers??

Old 04-12-02, 01:02 PM
lexroch
Visiting Guest
Question Shady flowers??

Is there such a thing as a pretty colorful flower that will grow with limited sunlight?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-02, 08:17 PM
lilypadsis
Visiting Guest
Cool Shady flowers

Impatiens are probably the most reliable shade flowers. I am growing Monkey Flowers this year because they are also supposed to grow in at least part shade. My Astilbe produces nice colorful tufts of color above the greenery. Wild Geraniums do well in my shade garden. To see any of these flowers you can do an image search on google.com. I hope this helps!

Old 04-12-02, 09:51 PM
Shade gardening

Your local Dept. of Agriculture Extension Agent should be able to send you a list of plants that do well in the shade. There are also some good books out on shade gardening. The Ortho gardening books have always been my favorite. I believe you can find these at www.amazon.com where you will find there is an Ortho book on many types of gardening.

Old 04-13-02, 05:05 AM
northgardengal
Visiting Guest
Welcome Lilypadsis and Lexroch

Those are great recommendations you made in your post, Lily. I will be dealing with some shady areas as well, and will ask when I shop today at the local nursery what else might work in addition to the plants you mention. If there's any "earth shaking" information, I will be sure to pass it on!

I rely a whole lot on my local garden center for guidance, so you might want to do the same. AND I rely hugely on our members here who are incredibly wise - Gami, Bomber, Fewalt, etc. With these folks, you can benefit from their years of first hand experience.

North Garden Gal

Old 04-13-02, 06:32 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Lexroch,

(Thanks, Liz. ).

Here are some websites with a list of annuals and perennials for shade. You can click for photos.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/distrib....html#contents (perennials)
http://www.natorp.com/TSannualsShade.htm (annuals)

The ones mentioned are great choices.

Gami

Old 04-13-02, 08:23 PM
lilypadsis
Visiting Guest
Hey Gami, we're practically neighbors! I live in Topeka. For those of you not familiar with Kansas, that's about 60 or so miles away.

Old 04-14-02, 06:09 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Lilypadsis,

We sure are! I've been to Topeka a few times and lived 12 years in Coffeyville, KS. My ex-husband was working for McElroy Plumbing out of Topeka.

Gami

Old 04-14-02, 09:18 AM
Wizard of Oz

From what town was Dorothy?

Old 04-14-02, 11:55 AM
cak
Visiting Guest
I am also on the hunt for shade tolerant plants and flowers. I just discovered a new one called "candelabra primulas". These like shady, damp places and are a spring flower.

Cheers,
cak

Old 04-14-02, 11:59 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Interesting question, Twelvepole, but I don't think they ever said. I've watched that movie numerous times with the kids. Hopefully, someone knows.

Any part of Kansas has tornadoes. Topeka had one area flattened, they rebuilt the houses and now call it Tornado Hill. Am I right about that, Lilypadis?

Gami

Old 04-14-02, 06:18 PM
lilypadsis
Visiting Guest
Gami I know they call the hill that the tornado jumped over Burnett's Mound, but I don't think I've heard it called anything else officially. When were you in Coffeyville? I lived there 90-91 and was in the Casa Del Sol condos when they blew up.

Has anyone ever grown Monkey Flowers? I've got some that I grew from seed that are ready to plant and want some advice. They are supposed to grow okay in shade, but I'd hate to plant them in the wrong place. The flower looks almost just like my Moth Orchid, only smaller. The leaves look a bit like lettuce. Here are some pictures.

Old 04-14-02, 07:22 PM
Monkey flowers

Wow! What beautiful pictures. I have never grown Money Flowers (Mimulus/Diplacus). How does it go with the pests and diseases? Downy mildew, powdery mildew, gray mold, whiteflies, spider mites, and aphids! I have seen the red ones and the yellow ones, but never the spotted with the contrasting colors. Thanks for the pictures.

Old 04-14-02, 07:36 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Lilypadis,

I lived in Coffeyville from '67 - '79. I've never heard of your condos. Obviously built after I left. I can't remember when that tornado hit Topeka either, but it was while I lived in Coffeyville. I remember you can see the area from the interstate. I then moved to Bartlesville and moved in '81 to Kansas City.

Now, I have a special favor to ask you. How in the word did you post pics here? Would you please tell us how and start a new thread on it?

Beautiful pictures! I've heard of Monkey Flowers but never grown them.

Gami

Old 04-15-02, 03:09 PM
northgardengal
Visiting Guest
Looks like Lilypadsis has a web page on Homestead! I right-clicked on the image and looked at the properties - nosey, aren't I?

Lily, is Homestead still free? I started a web page on there about three years ago, and then got into other things and never finished.

Your photos are very lovely!!!

Liz

Old 04-15-02, 03:14 PM
northgardengal
Visiting Guest
I just realized that Fred could tell us a little about Photofun.com - it looks like you can upload your pics and it's free.

Take it away Fred...

Old 04-15-02, 06:09 PM
Hi Liz, Gami, and all.
Well, lilypadsis' pictures are interesting. Just what we neeed, a
'techie'. I think I tried to post one of my website pictures here and it must have been too big of a file. I'm not sure, but I do try to keep my camera settings on the finer modes(large files).
Maybe we should find out exactly how lilypadsis got her picks here. I'll have to try posting one of my pics again - maybe later.

Anyway, Photofun.com, so far, has been a free service. I've got 34 pics there in 3 scrapbooks, 3 websites, and 3 albums. They do try to have you buy prints of your pictures, I haven't bought any yet. I usually print my own on kodak paper on my lexmark.
I spent quite a few evenings over there learning when I first set up my sites. But it is fairly nice. If you'd like to check it out, go to:
http://www.photofun.com/IM/Templates...&SubSite=11008

fred

Old 04-15-02, 07:39 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Lilypadis,

On the Gardener's Journal this morning, Kathy Renwald planted Monkey flowers in a flowerbox. To my knowledge, that's the first time I've seen them anywhere on a garden show. It could just be that you have drawn attention to them, and I noticed.

Don't keep us in suspense! How did you post individual pics from a website? We're all sitting at the edge of our seats! Obviously there is a trick to it.

Gami

Old 04-15-02, 08:11 PM
Okay, I had to atleast try -

just maybe,
fred

Old 04-15-02, 08:14 PM
SUCCESS!!!!!!! Whoda thunk it.

It's a Butterfly Weed......now resides in my perennial bed.

fred

Old 04-15-02, 09:54 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Fred,

OK, Mr. Smarty Pants! Give us the scoop!

You need a website?

I must say, it took awhile to download, but I figured if you hollered "success" that we were in for a big surprise.

Hey, it's there!

OK, the suspense is killing me (us)!

Good job, Fred! When we want to post something here, we'll send it to you???

Gami

Old 04-16-02, 03:57 AM
Hi Gami,
The source pic has to reside somewhere on the web.
Then all you need is the img coding: I guess jpg or gif pictures work - maybe. These phone modes are kinda slow, aren't they.

Yep, all you need is the {img]website[/img}
Just that the outsde brackets have to be square.

fred

Old 04-16-02, 06:14 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest

Thanks, Fred. I guess I still don't understand it. This is my third try. I've been deleting my failures. It won't work. I'm getting that dreaded red x.

I tried to post a pic from my member's gallery. Couldn't get that to work either.

I typed this in, except I changed the first and last brackets to square brackets. It wouldn't show up if I did it that way for this example.

{IMG]http://www.clipsahoy.com/clipart2/as1757tn.gif[/IMG}

I'm frustrated. Going back outside!

Gami

Old 04-16-02, 05:06 PM
Patience, Gami, patience!

Maybe it is case sensitive. First remove your img caps and try again.
Well, I'll try it:

Old 04-16-02, 07:01 PM
Gami,
Well, I'll Be!!!!
I reloaded, and your 'carrot' showed up on YOUR post. - It did work, afterall.

fred (80 strokes today in 89 degrees)

Old 04-16-02, 07:03 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Well, Fred, I don't know what you did, but now instead of seeing the Red X in my post, the clipart is showing up???

I know you can't tamper with my post, so I'm even more confused than before.

Isn't she cute? If she had grey hair, I'd switch her for my signature icon on Sierra.

You had a good golf game!

Gami

Last edited by Gami; 04-16-02 at 08:48 PM.
Old 04-17-02, 09:34 PM
lilypadsis
Visiting Guest
Wow, I must apologize for not getting back to you guys more quickly. I've been selling out my Dad's upholstery shop on eBay and had to get that all taken care of this week. Also working on a backyard project (see my new thread on gravel paths).

Yes Gami Homestead is still free. Of course they have all the ads and such, but I don't even really maintain a website there, just store pics to post on messages. It's one of the few I know of that will still allow you to do that. Looks like I need to make my pics even smaller before posting them because it's probably extremely slow loading, huh?

All I did to post the pics was click on the IMG button (you only see it when posting a message, so don't look for it now...) then type in my URL.

I don't know anything about the Monkey Flower's bug or any other problem. They don't seem to be susceptible to aphids though because I had a rash of them on my tomato seedlings and some other plants. Also have found spider mites on my orchid (weeping because it was in full bloom before I let it dry out which apparently caused the mites) and Jacob's Ladder (sure hope it survives now that it's outside), but the Monkey Flower is still okay.

Gee I'm long-winded tonight. Catching up for lost time I guess.

G'nite all!

Old 04-18-02, 03:12 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Thanks Lilypadis,

You can see we've been playing with it. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Gami

Old 04-22-02, 06:39 PM
lexroch
Visiting Guest
shady flowers

Thank you guys for replying to my question I'm pretty new to this gardening thing. My kids and I planted some so impatiens under a large tree in our yard and they are doing great. We will try some other flowers from the list I have. Thanks again for all your help

Lexroch in NC