newspaper for weed control????

Old 04-17-02, 09:41 AM
Sissi
Visiting Guest
Question newspaper for weed control????

Hi everybody~
I am trying to create a rock garden and have been told to put down newspaper to help with weed control before filling in with rocks. Somehow, unknown to me, the newspaper is supposed to kill the weeds. I have a chemical weed killer I am planning to use before putting down the rocks. I had originally planned to use some type of plastic for a weed barrier. Any advice?
Sissi

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-02, 05:23 PM
Sissi,
The newspaper has been suggested/used here before , but mostly for the veggie plot. The papar will deteriorate fairly quickly. Your heavy plastic barrier is a good choice to prevent weeds. I even resort to tar(roofing) paper in some areas.
fred

Old 04-18-02, 03:19 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Sissi,

I'm a big promoter of the newspaper method, since I've had great success with it. In fact, as I plant things this year in existing beds, I'm going to sneak in some newspaper under the mulch.

Water your garden and use about 8 layers of newspaper, not the glossy pages. Water the newspaper and then apply mulch on top of it. I don't see any newspaper in the bed I did this to two years ago. That's the only bed that I don't have a problem with bindweed.

Go for it!

Gami