Lilac Tree

Old 04-29-02, 04:26 AM
Sheelagh
Visiting Guest
Question Lilac Tree

I have a very healthy looking lilac tree which has been in my garden for 2 years now, but there are no signs of it flowering. It has been fed and nurtured but no sign of any buds is there chance it will flower in years to come?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-02, 07:12 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Sheelagh,

Welcome. It sounds like you're doing everything right, so now you'll have to be patient. Shrubs and trees can sometimes take 3-4 years to bloom and even longer.

Gami

Old 04-30-02, 08:04 AM
ohgarden1
Visiting Guest
I would also suggest pruning. See my reply to the other lilac question. It did wonders for mine.

Shele

Old 05-02-02, 02:27 AM
Sheelagh
Visiting Guest
I have read all your advice. Thank you very much.
When would be the best time to prune?

Old 05-02-02, 09:47 AM
ohgarden1
Visiting Guest
Sheelagh,

I have been wracking my brains trying to remember when I pruned those back. I'm thinking I would have done it in the fall.

good luck

Shele

Old 05-04-02, 11:45 PM
lilac

Hi Sheelagh,

If you wait for the fall to prune your lilac you will be cutting off the flower buds for next year as they form shortly after blooming. The best time to prune is now. My question is why prune it if it isn't blooming? Lilacs like a more alkaline soil. I had a similar problem. Sprinkle lime around the soil and scratch in. Do this for a couple of years in a row and you should see blooms. Another thing about lilacs is that they tend to sulk after transplanting for a year or two.

Also, when you prune lilacs (other than cutting off the old flowers), cut the oldest stems to the ground so new ones can come up.

For plants that bloom in the spring, always prune after blooming time. Plants that bloom in the fall you can prune in early spring. As with anything else, there are exceptions.

Newt