Planting Elephant Ears

Old 05-02-02, 10:23 AM
cak
Visiting Guest
Planting Elephant Ears

I have just planted Elephant Ears in pots in the basement where our annuals are all flourishing under lights and am wondering if anyone knows anything about bringing these big bulbs/tubers on? Our last frost date is usually around the May long weekend (24th), and wet snow is in the forecast for tomorrow so I will definitely keep them in their pots for the next 4 wks. at least. I just don't know if they need to be placed under lights at present or how wet the soil should be kept from now to when the plants are actually showing themselves above the soil. Any advice appreciated

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-02, 05:49 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Cak,

Nothing needs light until it germinates. I planted two elephant ears and they took over a month to show up. I'll post a pic of them on another garden board (Sierra) tomorrow and give you the link. They now have leaves. What zone or state are you in? It's good that you started them early.

With bulbs, when you plant them, water well, and then don't water until you see growth. Nothing is sucking up the moisture until they start growing. There are probably exceptions to every rule where the soil could dry out and then you'd need to water so the bulb has moisture to grow--but I've never had that happen.

Gami

Old 05-03-02, 05:08 AM
cak
Visiting Guest
I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada (zone 4) and we have had a strange spring with temperatures of 30 degrees celsius (80's F) two weeks ago followed by snow (5 cms, whiteout conditions, 30's F) last week. I have followed the package instructions and planted the bulbs (5 large) in pots approx. 10 inches in diameter, with the top of each bulb at a depth of 2 to 3 inches below soil surface. I hope they didn't get too much of a shock as I just took top soil/mushroom compost mixture (moist from over 24 hrs. of rain, 50 degrees F) from outside mixed with peat moss and vermiculite. They are just sitting on top of our potting table in the basement now (temp. 65-70 degrees). Thanks for your help.

Old 05-03-02, 05:53 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi CAK,

You're welcome. Since you're in zone 4, next year it might be a good idea to start your bulbs the first of March. (You can store them over the winter.)

I posted a pic on Sierra. I'm not going to plant them outside until approximately May 20th. So the end of May sounds about right for you. I'm moving them outside on the warm days and watching night time temps and bringing them in if it's going to be under 50.

They can be grown immersed in a pond, and like LOTS to drink. So be sure and keep them moist once they start growing. They can stand a little sun. I did add some bulb fertilizer when I planted them. You could also leave them in pots.

http://community.sierra.com/[email protected]^[email protected]

You'll have to copy and paste that link.

Gami