Day lilly problem

Old 05-03-02, 06:25 PM
Day lilly problem

Bought a house last year and am just getting to a particullarly nasty flower bed filled with day lillies which have become a 2" thick matte of roots. Last some the plants never got over 6" tall and not a single bloom. So, how much do I thin them out and how? How often should I thin them out?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-02, 08:47 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi mrhoadar,

Are they in full sun? Sounds to me like that's your problem. Do you have a sunny area you can move them to?

Day lilies are a treasured plant. No, they don't bloom for a long time, but they come in all sizes and colors. Keep them if you can.

Gami

Old 05-04-02, 05:37 PM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hello mrhoadar, sounds like a perfect time to help the existing bed and get a new at the same time. As Gami said they need full sun and a little space. I divide mine with a sharp shooter taking as much as half a clump at a time. They'll never check up and should bloom next year.....Mike

Old 05-04-02, 07:42 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Mike,

Where did you buy your sharp shooter? I've been on the look-out for one. I've checked Home Depot, Sutherlands and some nurseries.

Gami

Old 05-05-02, 06:10 PM
marquest
Visiting Guest
I have about 10 daylilies. I did not think you could go wrong with these jewels. I even have some planted in shade almost full shade.

I do know some must get at least 4 hours but those seem to be the little ones that are purple and white flower varities. That might be the varities you have.

Old 05-06-02, 05:00 AM
cak
Visiting Guest
Last year I dug up a buch of daylilies from underneath an old cedar (on a slope, dense shade) with very little soil above bedrock. These daylilies (orange) are very tough plants and will survive just about anywhere I put them. I have moved some to a shady area along the front of an old lilac hedge to cover up the base and they are doing fine - but yes, not as many flowers as if they were in the sun but the foliage looks good. If they're not flowering much I think your right in assuming they need dividing. I just dug them up and pulled the corms (?) apart gingerly so as to keep as much of the roots intact as possible. I had such an abundance of daylilies that I shipped some off with visiting friends, and I even set some out on the curb (lots of dog walkers, gardeners in our neighbourhood) but no takers for these commoners. Good luck.

Old 05-06-02, 07:54 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Hello Gami, we have Lowes stores in my area and the sharpshooter is a staple tool around here. I suppose the reason is in the deep south we have everything from clay to hardpan and a regular shovel will bend like a spoon......Mike

Old 05-06-02, 08:19 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Mike. I am leaving for Lowe's in a few minutes, so that was perfect timing. They really have a nice garden section. I wish it wasn't 40 min. away.

We have a lot of clay too, but I'm trying my darndest to remedy that this year.

Gami

Old 05-06-02, 04:49 PM
Thanks all for the advise. By the way, I never wanted to get rid of the plants its just that the bed was literally 15' x 2' and 2" thick. About the only thing blooming was an occastional dandilion that found its way through. In the end, I decided to turn that bed in lawn since it was on a side of the house I only see when I mow the lawn. The plants were thined out and moved to 5 other beds. Hope to enjoy their blooms next year.

Old 05-06-02, 07:16 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Mike,

Lowe's didn't have the sharp shooter either. Obviously, they think we don't need it in the midwest.

Gami

Old 05-07-02, 03:36 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Old 05-07-02, 04:28 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Thanks again, Mike. I'll check out Ace Hardware. That shovel was recommended two years ago, and I've been trying to find it since then.

Gami