painting rock faced siding

Old 05-11-02, 12:26 AM
glennia
Visiting Guest
painting rock faced siding

MY LOWER HALF OF MY HOUSE HAS LARGE FLAT ROCK PIECES ATTACHED WITH MORTAR OF SOME SORT. oUR PAINTER SUGGESTED PUTTING A "CLEAR COAT" ON THE ROCK AFTER HE FINISHS PAINTING THE TOP HALF SIDING. dOES ANYONE KNOW IF WHAT HE IS SUGGESTING IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO TO BRIGHTEN THE ROCK?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-02, 07:31 AM
Clear coat won't actually 'brighten' the rock facing (although the shiny surface created by the clearcote might make it appear brighter - it's an optics thing... ) I think the main reason for applying a finish would be because it may slow down any weathering processes. If it is a softer natural rock like limestone or flag, it might be helpful - Personal choice (yours) I guess....

Any other opinions?

Howie

Old 05-11-02, 08:02 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Glennia and Howie,

I think the painter just wants to make a few extra $$$.

I know I'm not worldly, and maybe it's an acceptable practice somewhere, but it isn't around here. Any weatherproofing or "painting" done on any outside surface doesn't last forever.

Gami

Old 05-11-02, 08:07 PM
Hi Gami - I didn't want to say that about the painter - but I'm glad someone did...

Howie

Old 05-11-02, 08:09 PM
Painting the rock?

Rock has been around for millions of years and has worn away VERY slowly. Sounds like the painter wants to make more $$$. Would you paint a rock retaining wall? Doesn't make sense. If the mortor is deteriorating, then that should be replaced, but putting paint on it could actually shorten the life of the mortor.

Newt

Old 05-11-02, 08:22 PM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Howie,

Well, I guess you might say, I speak my mind. If I'm wrong, I hope somebody comes in behind me and tells me and whoever I've given bad advice. I might cry , but I'd rather have the question answered right and in turn learn the right way to do something.

I've honestly never heard of clear coating rocks. As Newt says, they last an eternity.

Gami

Old 05-12-02, 12:21 AM
glennia
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your honesty on putting clear coat over the rock. That was my thinking but thought I'd get some other opinions since I certainly am no expert. At $30 an hour I'm sure the motive was $$$!