lawn under water

Old 05-12-02, 10:10 AM
RARef
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down lawn under water

First time here but we have big problem. Our garden is at the bottom of a hill and we frequently have standing water after heavy rain. We have thought about laying (french?) drain pipes or otherwise planting bushes or ferns, etc. that like water. it's mainly in the shade under a big tree. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-02, 02:34 PM
Hello RA Ref and Welcome to DoItYourself.com

If you have somewhere that the water can drain to, then a trench or pipe would be the way to go. A classic French drain is a big hole in the ground that's filled with rubble so that excess water has somewhere to pool until it percolates into the ground. If you are the lowest point, digging one would only create extra storage capacity for rainwater - the problem would return if rainfall exceeds the volume of the hole minus the volume of the rubble.

You could create a bog garden with marginal pond plants that would take both wet and dry conditions as well as shade. Some that come to mind are Hostas, some of the irises, some of the bamboos, ferns and rushes. If space isn't a problem, scrub and other willows and some dogwood would take the wet roots. Your selection will also depend, of course on your growing zone.

I'm going to move your post over to the 'Garden' forum - maybe someone over there (here now ) has some suggestions about more shade plants that thrive with wet feet and maybe some solutions for your drainage dilema...

Good Luck

Howie

Old 05-13-02, 06:16 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi R A Ref,

If you'll type in bog plants using www.google.com, you'll pull up several plants.

It might be helpful to take a photo and go to a reputable nursery and ask for advice.

Gami

Old 05-16-02, 07:20 PM
RARef
Visiting Guest
Smile lawn under water.....

Hey thanks Howie and Barb for your hints. Say, this system really works. I appreciated your ideas. Guess the drain idea is out and we did plant a bamboo last year (quite expensive from a catalog) and that turned up its toes unfortunately. Think the irises and hostas are a nice idea tho and am going to look into the Google.com - see what plants I can find there. Is it O.K. to plant some hostas actually into wet ground or will I hve to let it dry out first?

Jan