Shrubs need help!

Old 05-12-02, 08:48 PM
KYJen
Visiting Guest
Post Shrubs need help!

We have just moved to a new house. The shrubs are over grown ans the previous owner had shaped them likeke a box which I do not like anyway. Can you trim evergreen shrubs all the way back and let them grow out again. And how do you do that. Or if any one has a suggestion for these shrubs they need help. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-02, 04:37 AM
Hello KYJen and Welcome to DoItYourself.com!

I'm moving your post over to the Garden forum - you'll get more answers over there, I'm sure.

In the mean time, do you know what type of shrubs you have? Some evergreens will respond to severe pruning, but others will not. If you don't know the name, could you give us a description (colour, type of bark <smooth/rough/peeling/colour>, does it have needles or scaley type foliage, are they sharp or rounded, is there any fruit and anything else you can tell us about the shrubs) This information will help everyone when giving you some pointers...

Howie

Old 05-13-02, 05:17 AM
KYJen
Visiting Guest
I don't know the name of the shrubs have dark green needles with smooth dark bark. The needles are sharp and there is no fruit on it.

If I have done it right I have attached a picture of the shrubs if that helps. Hopefully it will work.

Old 05-13-02, 05:48 AM
KYJen
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Ok the attachment didn't work. If someone knows how to add an attachment let me know.

Old 05-13-02, 07:35 AM
Hi again KYJen

There was a very long thread about posting pictures on this forum a few months ago - here's a link to it:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...threadid=88718

I never had the patience to try to figure it out, but if you can.... (I know Fred, Eric, Gami, Liz, Cassie and a whole bunch of others did - maybe they'll come on and share their 'secrets')

You could also try going to http://community.sierra.com/, clicking on the Gardening link in the blue box at the top right corner, and posting your question and picture there. Not sure if you have to be a member to post pics, but it's the same as here and you'll likely find a lot of the same friendly people over there that frequent these boards.

Maybe we'll see you over at Sierra...

Howie

Old 05-13-02, 07:38 AM
How to do an attachment

When I clicked on f.a.q. at the top of this page, here is what I found. Hope this helps. I've never done it myself. I just copy and paste, but I don't think you can do that with your photo.

What Are Attachments?
The administrator may allow you to use the attachment feature of this board, which gives you the ability to attach files of certain types to your posts. This could be an image, a text document, a zip file etc. There will be a limit to the file size of any attachments you make, as the board should not be used as an extension of your
hard disk!

To attach a file to a new post, simply click the [Browse] button at the bottom of the post composition page, and locate the file that you want to attach from your local hard drive.

Only certain types of files may be attached: these are the valid file extensions for files to be attached to this board: gif jpg png txt zip bmp jpeg.

After posting, the attachment will show up in the body of your message. To view the contents of the attachment (if it is not already displayed) simply click the filename link that appears next to the attachment icon .

Newt

Old 05-13-02, 07:55 AM
Hi Newt

I've been reading all your posts with interests - It's great to have another great resource person on board!!! Welcome!

I think the problem is there is a limit to the size of the file one can attach (2 bytes) - that makes it hard to get a pic up and running - As far as I can figure, the 'technically inclined' that I referred to above have figured out a way to get around that by creating a file on another website, then posting THAT link (probably a URL)...

I dunno - I'm still typing with two thumbs *LOL*

Hope they see this and help out (mind you, this could become another 35+ post thread if they do... )

See ya

Howie