Neophyte gardener needs help

Old 05-22-02, 06:18 PM
MsAnnie
Visiting Guest
Talking Neophyte gardener needs help

I'm a new homeowner with a small yard that has been planted with about 20 different varieties of stuff. Lots of flowering shrubs - some 10 feet tall. I'm a neophyte at gardening - and there are lots of things here I love and want to maintain properly. I need a suggestion for some basic good general gardening books. Especially for flowering shrubs and also for some basic landscaping design help. I'm aiming for low maintenance - but then, who isn't??!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-02, 12:12 PM
slk3599
Visiting Guest
When I purchased my home, the first gardening book I picked up was Better Homes and Garden's New Complete Guide to Gardening. It's a great book - covers landscaping, perenials, annuals, shrubs, trees, roses, vegetables.

Barnes and Nobles and Amazon.com both have it. Costs around 28.00 hardcover. Well worth the investment!

Link to book

Old 06-07-02, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There's another book called 'The Well Tended Perennial Garden' that is really good for newbies. I can't remember the author.

Newt

Old 06-07-02, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gardening books for beginners

I love the Ortho books. They are what got me started in my previous life. I still have them. You can get them at amazon.com. There is one for just about every aspect of gardening.

Old 06-10-02, 01:18 PM
Tas123
Visiting Guest
When buying books, check out Half.com. Lots of used books, in good condition, cheap! It helps if you know exactly which book you are looking for. I never buy full-price anymore unless I have to get something ASAP. (Delivery usually only takes a week or so.)

Old 06-16-02, 05:27 PM
ByronB
Visiting Guest
Also check out your County Agent

http://ceinfo.unh.edu/office.htm

They have a bunch of free stuff to get you started.

Ortho Problem solver available to look at, at Agway and Blue Seal Stores.

If you are in Cheshire Co Bruce Cook is great, In Hillsborough Co.
George Hamilon is the greatest

Byron