Ground Cover by Creek in backyard??

Old 06-02-02, 09:23 AM
QR3
Visiting Guest
Ground Cover by Creek in backyard??

I have a question for someone in the landscaping field. I have a creek that runs through my back yard. The creek is a somewhat of a run off for water coming of the bean and corn fields. When it rains the level in the creek raises, and than when it does not rain it has very minimal water in it. It sets lower than the rest of the yard. It is a pain to mow the grass down there. I was thinking of planting a ground cover of sometype? Any sugeestions what i can plant down there, that would not wash away with heavy rains at times? Any ideas would be of great help. Thanks,

Adam in Illinois

Old 06-02-02, 05:40 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hello Adam and Welcome to DoItYourself.com!

Depends on the look you want - nothing comes to mind immediately for groundcovers, but you might try some of the rushes or even tall grasses like the pampas (that would give you the ornamental seed heads).

I'm going to move your post over to the Garden forum - pretty sure someone over there (here now ) can be more help.

Howie

Old 06-02-02, 10:56 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Planting along creek bank

My mother planted day lilies along the creek bank that ran through our property when I was a kid. I recall my dad did not like that because he liked to keep everything mowed down. In retrospect, I tend to agree with my dad. Ground covers and planting require weeding, mulching, and maintenance. It is much more expeditious to crank up the weedeater and clear the creek bank.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: