Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

cannot remember name of garden tool i saw...

Old 05-29-02, 02:55 PM
pineshade7b
Visiting Guest

i remember watching HGTV one day, and i saw a commercial of "Rebecca's Garden". i dont remember the name of the tool and i barely saw the commercial. it was something that she was using to grasp weeds with. i didnt pay any attention then, but now that that i see i didnt kill all the poison ivy from last year, i would really love to have something for it. i have to take shots and prednisone for a month to get rid of a poison ivy rash when i do get into it, and now its growing up the same bank , and is mixed in with what the "Georgia Gardening" show has taught me is virginia creeper. i have heard of the suggestion to put a plastic grocery bag over my hand and arm, pull the weed thru the bag and then pull the bag over the weed. but i have such an acute, miserable and expensive reaction to poison ivy, i'd just as soon not touch it. i know this is kinda like asking 'what is a shovel'--but i really need to get one of these things to protect myself. besides the obligatory heat stroke outfit. please respond and thank you in advance. as soon as i find out what its called, im going to get one. they did not have anything that looked like it at my local hardware store. thanks again. you could very well save me a lot of misery and doctors bills. thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-02, 06:54 PM
pineshade7b,
I've seen the tool, don't know it's name.

Why don't you just spray it with Round-up or Brush-killer?
fred

Old 05-30-02, 06:21 AM
pineshade7b
Visiting Guest
because its growing up thru lirirope and hostas, dont want spray them..

Old 05-30-02, 07:16 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Pineshade,

Here's a link to her website. It says not to ask questions through email, but they have a message board and Rebecca answers also. You could ask her what the name of the tool is. I saw that episode too, but can't think of the name of it either.

http://www.rebeccasgarden.com/contact/default.asp

Gami

Old 05-31-02, 04:04 AM
you need to kill the roots

You will need to kill the roots.

To minimize the damage to the good plants do this:
1. Cut the ivy back almost to the ground. Get help from someone that doesn't have such a sever reaction to poison ivy.
2. Now "paint" the round-up or brush-killer on the remaining leaves. There is a stronger root killer for poison ivy but the name escapes me right now.
3. Ivy is hard to kill. You will need to reapply the herbacide several times over the next month or so.

Old 05-31-02, 09:54 AM
mnfuzz
Visiting Guest
I think i know the tool. You attach it to your drill and it rotates the weed and the roots come up with it. Um unfortunatly I forgot the name.

Old 05-31-02, 11:15 AM
Pineshade,

Oh Boy,
If that's the tool your thinking about, forget it and save your money.

Old 06-01-02, 06:37 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
The tool Pineshade is talking about isn't attached to a drill. You can use it standing up. It has 3 prongs on the end, you stick it in the ground over the weed, somehow clamp the prongs shut and it pulls the weed out of the ground.

I looked in several seed catalogs and didn't find it.

Gami

Old 06-02-02, 11:37 AM
janetg
Visiting Guest
I think I know what you're talking about here and I think I saw one at Wal Mart about a month ago. It seems the price was around $20-$25, which at the time I thought extreme, but have since gotten into some poison oak that has me miserable, so I think I'm off to Wally World. I think I heard it called a Dandelion Puller. Anything that'll keep me out of the danger zone, short of waiting for my Hubby to get home from work and having to take a ribbing afterwards, has to have some merit. Good Luck. I hope you find one.

Old 06-03-02, 10:07 AM
pineshade7b
Visiting Guest
thank you, this is just something im going to have to go look for myself- i know. i hate poison ivy!~ thank you for all the replies!

Old 06-03-02, 10:15 AM
Gami
Visiting Guest
Hi Pineshade,

This first link is a discussion about dandelion pullers and mentions a tool I've never heard of but sounds like it works for them.

The second link has the tool you're looking for--$29.95. Several people have commented on how they like it.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...116266273.html
http://c1.zedo.com//ads2/f/9255/3853...2/40/zz-3.html

Gami