privacy bushes are not creating privacy

Old 06-03-02, 10:35 AM
Solace66
Visiting Guest
Exclamation privacy bushes are not creating privacy

I live in an apartment with a patio and the bushes that go around it are full on top but the bottom of them have barely any leaves. Also between my patio and my neighbor's the bushes died. I don't know anything about gardening but the soil is like clay where the bushes are planted. I am planting a little flower garden near them where I was going to dig up the clay and buy soil to plant my flowers in. Is there any way I can replace the clay that the bushes are in without hurting them? If not does anyone have any suggestions of something I could try? Thank you for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-02, 09:40 PM
The best way to ammend clay soil is with compost. You can purchase it in bags at places like Home Depot and Lowes.

If the bushes are dead, dig them out, roots and all and ammend the soil with the compost before planting new ones.

If you just want to plant a garden in front of the bushes that are alive, dig in the compost and plant. You can also put a 2" layer of the compost around the bushes and then add a 2" to 3" layer of mulch such as shredded hardwood on top of that.

Newt