Tilling a garden...

Old 06-05-02, 07:45 AM
techiemom
Visiting Guest
Question Tilling a garden...

I'm setting up my first garden & I have questions about tilling. Is there anything I need to do to prepare my lawn for tilling? Do I have to remove the grass/sod first? TIA!

Tammy

Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-02, 09:26 PM
Old 06-07-02, 02:21 AM
Tammy,
I didn't read the hgtv link, but I've owned a Troy-Bilt tiller for 24 years and done my share of tilling.

You can till through 'virgin' lawn, but you will have to do some raking to remove both stones and clumps of grass. It doesn't hurt to re-till a second time about a week later and do the raking again.
Here's another option: spray the entire area with round-up, wait 5 to 7 days and then till.
fred

Old 06-07-02, 08:23 PM
If you don't want to use chemicals and poisons, rent a sod stripper to strip off the old sod and then you can till. Add lots of compost. You can even compost the stripped off sod.

Newt

Old 06-08-02, 02:56 AM
Tammy and Newt,

Roundup may be a chemical, but it is not a poison.
It is chemically inert and leaves no residual 'harmful' chemicals.
It is the safest herbicide on the market.
fred

Old 06-08-02, 09:56 AM
Roundup

Roundup is my favorite herbicide. I have always found it to be quite effective.

As with any chemical or product used around the house, if you read and follow instructions, there should be no problems. I have never given my use of Roundup a second thought. I realize that there are many who have become very "green" in regard to the use of chemicals. I never thought about my old friend Roundup being a problem child. Environmentalists appear to have become political bullies, distorting the research. Consumers tend to listen to those with the loudest voices. And, those tend to be the groups with the most money who, of course, can buy political clout.

http://www.eap.mcgill.ca/magrack/jpr/jpr_02.htm

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...nousIngredient

"The question of safety is a hard one to answer because there is a lot of polarized and conflicting information. Here are a couple of things we can probably say with some certainty:

Given the amount of glyphosphate sprayed on the planet every day, it is probably safe to say that glyphosphate is not violently toxic to people or animals. People do not have the same enzymes in their cells that plants do, just like human cells and bacteria differ enough that antibiotics kill bacteria cells but not human cells
On the other hand, most people react badly to glyphosphate (and other chemicals mixed with it) when ingested or applied to the skin, so you want to avoid any contact with the chemical.
Roundup will kill almost any plant, including aquatic plants, so you want to be sure to avoid spray drift onto other plants or into water. Any pesticide should be applied carefully." Question of the Day. How Stuff Works. Retrieved 08 June 2002. http://www.howstuffworks.com/question357.htm

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...nousIngredient

http://www.motherjones.com/mother_jo...97/brokaw.html

Old 06-08-02, 01:56 PM
Thanks Patricia,

I knew all that good stuff you added!
It's just that I've forgotten most of it. -lol
(and my 30Gig HD is full of neat stuff I'm trying to remember)
fred

Old 06-16-02, 05:37 PM
ByronB
Visiting Guest
Round-up can affect solancae plants when applied 1,000 feet away from the garden.

Old 06-18-02, 01:40 PM
Well, I guess it's time for me to respond to Fred and those that feel that products like RoundUp are safe.

Here's a quote from an organic garden site.

"For any gardener who still hasn't been convinced about the need to garden organically, here are some statistics that may help change your mind. In March of 2001, the American Cancer Society published a report linking the use of the herbicide glyphosate (commonly sold as Round-up) with a 27% increased likelihood of contracting Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. John Hopkins University also revealed that home gardeners use almost 10 times more pesticide per acre than the average farmer and that diseases caused by environmental illness, exposure to chemicals etc., is now the number one cause of death in the U.S."

Need more info, just let me know.

Newt

Old 06-18-02, 03:19 PM
Geeeez Newt,
Did ya have to spell out my name? Of all the herbicides, Roundup
IS probably the safest to use. You are always going to get biased reports from certain factions. You can read reports every night till the wee hours of the morning. But if there was anything concrete, would not the government step in and elimnate it from the market place?? It probably will take years of these reports, till the government acts. So, maybe what you have mentioned is correct - who can say for now.
It's sort of like the CCA treated lumber issue - the reports were isuued for years. Now we find out CCA lumber is being phased out by the EPA. But what do we do in the meantime?
The older you get the more you learn how screwed up the bureaucracy really is.
fred

Old 06-18-02, 03:29 PM
Gosh, Fred, I didn't mean to offend you, but I did want you to know that I was responding to what you had written. Hope I didn't offend. I didn't mean to.

I am sensitive to chemicals and don't use them. There are many organic ways to kill weeds. If you would like some recipes, just let me know. No sense in taking chances!! I guess with the government, it's when they finally get around to it. Remember thalidamide, DDT, etc? Look how long it's taken them to do something about cigarettes (my only bad habit), yeah I know!! I've quit several times and always go back. They'll probably get me before my neighbor's RoundUp anyway.

Newt

Old 06-18-02, 03:56 PM
Hey Newt,
No offense taken, just that you should have dragged Patricia(Twelvepole) in with me.- LOL

Hey, I'm out in the sticks, have a well, etc. My 'grass' is full of weeds, and my garden is full of bugs. I use a very minimum of any chemicals, mostly Bt in the garden. There are just a few pests that really get to me. This year it has been the squirrels.
I'll stop there!!!
Anyway, it's time to go outside and have a smoke with my after dinner cup of coffee.
later,
fred

Old 06-18-02, 04:23 PM
texas lady
Visiting Guest
Wink tilling

hi just seen the guestion about tilling. about 2 years ago i seen an article in a gardening mag. instead of tilling , in the fall and the area you want to put anew bed or garden , 1st use your weed eater and knock down all grass. then spread a layer of newspaper about 5 thick over the area. 2nd then fill with your soil compost, and etc.oh and make sure you weight the edges down. then water real good. then over the winter the worms, and Mother nature will take care of the rest. i tried this and my flower beds and veggie gardens are wonderful. Texas Lady

Old 06-18-02, 04:56 PM
Oh Fred, I'm not supposed to drink coffee either. Please have one for me! Bt is cool. Also, I feed the squirrels and they leave my flowers and bulbs alone, thank goodness.

Patricia, hope you don't feel neglected.

Texas Lady, what you are referring to is called lasagna composting. It's a wonderful way to prep a new garden bed or veggie garden.

Newt

Old 06-18-02, 06:34 PM
Did someone mention my name?

Let me step outside for a cup of Roundup and a cigarette and think about this issue.

I recently attended a treated lumber lecture by a respresentative of Culpepper Wood Preservers (4th largest preserver in the country). He reported that the industry "voluntarily" decided to stop using the arsenic-based process used for treating lumber to 'preserve' their industry. The issue, according to him was an overreaction. While there might be a minute, very minute, chance of health related problems from using treated lumber, wood preservers are voluntarily switching to a "safer" process. If anyone, he stated, should have had health related problems it would have been those who were directly involved in the treatment process. According to the rep, not one case has ever been reported in all the years of manufacturing at Culpepper.

The EPA, however, has outlawed residential use of the arsenic contaminated wood, effective 2004. Many wood dealers have already stopped selling it or will have by the end of 2002.

The "green" people (some appear to definitely be from Mars) continue with their witch hunt for chemicals that are harmful to the environment and its inhabitants. True, many of the big bad chemicals have been outlawed in this country and, in some instances, rightfully so. The chemical manufacturers compensate for the lost market share here by increasing market share in foreign countries.

Statistical correlations and results can be twisted, and the media tends to twist them further, creating fear in the hearts of Americans. Reading and following labels on chemical products is very important. Responsible usage tends to protect both the user and the environment. When one looks at the BIG PICTURE, there are many more serious problems to health and environment than a gardener spraying bugs and weeds in the backyard. Which issues are addressed and decisions made about them tends to be controlled by those with power, money, and political connections.

Old 06-18-02, 06:42 PM
Twelvepole, well stated!! I still refuse to take the chance that later on down the road, there will be some new evidence revealed.

We just put siding on our house and 6 months later I found out how toxic the manufacture and disposal of it is. One never knows.

Ah, for a cup of coffee. At least I can have a cigarette with my herbal tea.

Newt